Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: iPad or IPhone app ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Could someone please tell me how come an official iOS app has not been released ?

In my opinion u can't compare media browser or plexi to Xbmc....When it comes to speed and ease of use xbmc beats them hands down....Yet they have have superb apps on the App Store, where the only app we have is for jail broken iPads, and that wouldn't even be so bad if it wasn't so buggy.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline that will allow us to watch our movies and tv series on iPhone or iPad when not at home ?

Thanks
XBMC isn't on the App Store because Apple won't accept it in its current form. They'd require us to remove a number of things, certain functions such as being able to download add-ons, the way the video decoding is handled, DTS and AC3 decoding, and a bunch of code would need to be redone, all to meet their requirements.

It might be possible that someone makes a "viewer", I guess, but it wouldn't be "XBMC". Also, VLC for iOS works pretty good for viewing XBMC's library if you turn on UPnP sharing on in XBMC, so there's not a lot of motivation for that.
There is an app called "xbmcRemote" for iPhone that is great. I use it on my iPhone and iPad.
Thanks for the explanation Ned. I had been wondering the same thing. I'll give the VLC app a try.
Thanks guys for the explanations and help