Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc freezing/crashing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have been noticing xbmc 13.1 recently has started freezing/crashing either randomly or while fast forwarding. Using the skip forward function works fine it seems, but say during my wifes sd avi insanity fitness, fast forwarding causes it to crash altogether or my sons sd avi baby einstein, some will randomly freeze and then play after about a minute or so. I havent done a log yet, but any ideas as to what could be causing this? They do happen to be on the same hard drive, which is nearly full. Trying to figure out if i have a hardware issue (dying hard drive) or if its a xbmc issue or something else. Running on windows 8 x64. Will post a log as soon as i have a chance to catch it in the act. Just wanted to see if its a known issue or just me.
I'm gonna go with "just you." Wink

Seriously, do post a log. The other thing you might look for is a separate crash log in the XBMC data directory (same place the log is in Windows). I think that dumps some stuff during a crash that might help track things down too.
Anyone have a chance to look at this? Couldn't find a crash log that was of the same date (newest was over a month old). It's seriously most every time I fast forward or rewind. I can use the skip fwd/skip back and that works fine.
Still hoping for a solution
Just wanted to update this is still happening, and i don't believe its hardware failure as it does it with media from multiple drives
there is certainly nothing going to change for 13.1 not even for 13.2 in case that issue exists in this version. What I am saying is that you either keep 13.1 and hope for a solution, probably forever, or you upgrade to a nightly and let us know if the issue is still present.
(2014-07-17, 03:39)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]Have been noticing xbmc 13.1 recently has started freezing/crashing either randomly or while fast forwarding.
I was running 13.x on two different hardware in Windows. Both would become unstable after a couple of days and just get worse as time went on. From jumpy video to lagging GUI scroll. Then eventually fail to respond to any input. It was a miracle if I could get stable use up to a week or more. I've had this issue with previous versions too.

How long do you leave your system running? Does it work normal right after a fresh reboot?

I've been running v14.0 Alpha 2 for over 49 days straight now and it still works perfectly. There must have been a nasty memory leak fixed or something. I hope it stays this way when final v14 is released.