Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Software sound equalizer/crossover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using xbmc among other multimedia programs in Fedora Linux. I use 5.1 surround sound, computer does processing, then analog audio out to an 8 channel amp, no receiver, no nothing, raw pure 8 channel audio amp.

So my problem is that Linux outputs all frequencies on every channel, which was always nice with my 3ways, but they have become large and bulky, so switched to klipsch thx well except for the subs. So my 2 sub woofers get some voices, and highs in them, and my fronts, center, rears get slight bass in them, usually neither of these cause distortion on a normal day, but sometimes when playing loud it will get a very slight distortion..

So I was wondering what my best option would be.. Build a simple crossover myself for each channel which I'd place before the amp, buy an 8 channel crossover/several 2 channel/mono, or is there a nice software eq/crossover for Linux that I could control the frequencies for each channel or at least each set of channels fronts, center, rears, and subs?
Get a proper home theatre amp?
We are about to add audio DSP https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4402
A DSP addon should be able to solve your problem.
(2014-07-17, 07:10)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]We are about to add audio DSP https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4402
A DSP addon should be able to solve your problem.
Awesome!

(2014-07-17, 06:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Get a proper home theatre amp?
Proper amp? Why have multiple audio processes? Sound card already does the processing, no need to have a surround sound receiver, my computer is my receiver, signals just need to be amplified to speakers..

Now with change in speakers, I want my computer/audio processor/receiver to be an equalizer/crossover and control each frequency going to the amp/speakers.. I'd not possible, to use standalone crossovers Smile
Well surely the LFE channel should only have LF. That's the way a 5.1 soundtrack is designed.

Or are you upmixing stereo to 5.1?
I use to use this before I got an receiver http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88719
no idea if it works with the latest ver of xbmc though, prob not due to all the changes in the audio
(2014-07-29, 05:03)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Well surely the LFE channel should only have LF. That's the way a 5.1 soundtrack is designed.

Or are you upmixing stereo to 5.1?
Well before I had quadratic speaker setup.. 2 front, 2 rear, all 4 were 3 way speakers with built in crossovers.. So sending all frequencies to each speaker wasn't an issue.. I had "surround bass" not just mono bass and surround highs.. No bass went into highs or other way around..

But after switching to small speakers for surround, I don't want bass going into then, if I do, not a whole lot, so I want to be able to control it..

Most music is stereo that I have, but movies are mostly all 5.1..
OK well 5.1 should be fine. Is it?

Stereo is another matter of course. I've never been happy with music on a 5.1 system. You either don't get the benefit of the LFE speaker, or you process the crap out of the music. Neither makes me happy!
Yeah it works fine, just trying to filter frequencies a little..