Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3D signal to TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

Before the official release of OpenElec 4 / XBMC Gotham I was using on my RPi a dev-branch OpenElec that added 3D Support on XBMC for RPi.
(from this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147285 )

With that version, when XBMC detected that the movie was in 3D it would send the video signal in 3D (aka: my TV automatically entered in 3D mode). Now with the official release (with 3D support for all archs) the behave of XBMC on RPi is the same of the others archs: XBMC detects the movie is in 3D and changes it interface to the same mode the movie is (SBS or TAB). Then I have to manually switch my TV to that same mode.

Looks like to me that the RPi GPU can send the video signal already in 3D. Is it possible to enable this back again on RPi?

I know that I can change the settings on my TV to automatically switch to 3D mode, but I don't like it because it not works always and sometimes it missdects a 2D movies as been a 3D and switch - then a I have to manually switch back to 2D. The way it was on those previous beta version was, at least to me, perfect for 3D.

Thanks
the 3D mode switch for the GPU never made it into the codebase, so it's still only available in test builds by Milhouse http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192380

The according PR that allows the PI to do this has been refactored since the first implemenetation and will hopefully be merged soon so that this feature will be in core for Helix.
(2014-07-21, 16:41)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]the 3D mode switch for the GPU never made it into the codebase, so it's still only available in test builds by Milhouse http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192380

It's actually in the gotham_rbp_backports branch which is used by openelec and raspbmc, so it should work with those distributions.

@renatoriolino what distribution/version are you running?
@popcornmix - I'm using OpenElec 4.0.7 (release). Should I try with a dev build?
(2014-07-21, 19:08)renatoriolino Wrote: [ -> ]@popcornmix - I'm using OpenElec 4.0.7 (release). Should I try with a dev build?

Enable debugging, play a 3D file and post a link to your xbmc.log file.
@popcornmix Yesterday night I enabled the debug and when I played a 3d movie it worked!!

I'm not sure why it was not working before, but this past weekend I was playing with some settings on config.txt to resolve others issues I was having with some (2D) movies and I think it may have solved the 3d problem too.

I remember that I changed the memory split to 256 (it was 128mb for the gpu before) and added the following too:

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
hvs_priority=0x32f4
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

I don't know if its coincidence but it's working again!!!

Thank you for your time.
It could be the edid_file setting.

Some TVs only report the EDID when powered on and on correct input.
If you boot xbmc before TV it will fail to read the EDID and so doesn't know TV supports 3D.

You need to ensure TV is powered and on right input when booting pi, or, as you have done, capture the EDID to a file and use that.