Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Renaming Tools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After spending days (yes DAYS!) trying to rename my TV Show library, I am now convinced of 2 things.

1. The ONLY truly effective way of renaming files is to do it manually - 1 file at a time.
2. Short, fat cavemen are too stupid for computers.

I have tried using:
- theRenamer (kept telling me the title was missing. Well DUH! Isn't that the point!!)
- filebot (kept inserting random characters and telling me they were invalid - very helpful!)
- TV Rename (renamed the first 2 files in every folder and then crashed and refused to do any more)
- Renamer (just opening the interface gave me a migraine)
- Media Center Master (told me what my files needed to be renamed to, but still refused to do it)

All of these programs had one thing in common - lots of information about how nifty and how easy to use they are, but no information on how to actually do any of these wonderful things.

So, in short, I need a renaming tool - WITH instructions!
Any suggestions?

EDIT
To clarify - I have no doubt that each and every one of those tools works. My point is that not everyone is blessed with a digital brain and, to those of us not technologically inclined, the lack of clear, easy to follow directions is particularly frustrating.
Try Bulk Rename Utility and let me know... Wink
The Renamer works fine for me, for several years now.

If it comes up tv show title missing, just use the code from the series from TVDB to force it to that show, it's simple and easy.
The Renamer should handle your drag & drop files, but if the file name starts..... Babbbaly_Gook Uploader_Star_Trek_numer_eight_release_by_the_beatles_in_1984.avi theRenamer will have an issue....(pretty hard for any renamer to parse out the true file name out of all that ) you have to at least have a semblance of the file. Cutting it back to theTVDB info will ensure some compliance, and the episodes should be in the folder Star_Trek as S01E08.avi OK OK it's not as dead simple for some..... but mostly this kind of data is in the original filename and I guess there is some effort to maintaining a solid library.
Quote:My point is that not everyone is blessed with a digital brain and, to those of us not technologically inclined,
Ouch, I guess XBMC is not for everyone. Persevere, once you get a little accustomed to one of these rename programs, it will become second nature and it will become apparent the effort to keep up a solid library isn't for the faint at heart.
(2014-07-23, 11:27)axlt2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Try Bulk Rename Utility and let me know... Wink

Thank you sir! Not only did it make sense, but it even comes with a big fat pdf user guide.
It is still a work in progress but, thus far, it seems to be working just great.

(2014-07-23, 12:54)Akme Wrote: [ -> ]The Renamer works fine for me, for several years now.

If it comes up tv show title missing, just use the code from the series from TVDB to force it to that show, it's simple and easy.

I kept reading that using the code would solve my problem, but I couldn't find out how to actually do it. Now that i have the code, what am I supposed to do with it? (If you get my point?)

(2014-07-23, 19:36)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]The Renamer should handle your drag & drop files, but if the file name starts..... Babbbaly_Gook Uploader_Star_Trek_numer_eight_release_by_the_beatles_in_1984.avi theRenamer will have an issue....(pretty hard for any renamer to parse out the true file name out of all that ) you have to at least have a semblance of the file. Cutting it back to theTVDB info will ensure some compliance, and the episodes should be in the folder Star_Trek as S01E08.avi OK OK it's not as dead simple for some..... but mostly this kind of data is in the original filename and I guess there is some effort to maintaining a solid library.
Quote:My point is that not everyone is blessed with a digital brain and, to those of us not technologically inclined,
Ouch, I guess XBMC is not for everyone. Persevere, once you get a little accustomed to one of these rename programs, it will become second nature and it will become apparent the effort to keep up a solid library isn't for the faint at heart.

Sorry about the ouch! I have said repeatedly that I am in absolute awe of the amazing job everybody does with XBMC - whether it be the development team, the wiki team, or the incredibly patient folks (like yourself) who help out we mere mortals here on the forum. You all have my undying respect and gratitude. (Even it doesn't sound like it at times!)

Bottom line: There is a very good reason that my avatar is a caveman, and my sig says "Explain it like I'm 5" - I'm old and I spend far too much time in that great state of Confusion!
UPDATE:
Mission accomplished. I now have a fully functioning TV library.

Thank you to all who helped and I promise not to "tweak" my set up again unless my 10 year old is supervising!! Rofl