Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any way to share Pictures library via UPnP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As far as I can tell, by default it's not possible to share the Pictures library from XBMC via UPnP.

Is there any way to change that - by editing some .XML file, for instance?

This is a major drawback for me as I'd need to Chromecast my pictures to a second TV on another floor using Android BubbleUPnP - but the XBMC server is only showing the Movies and Music libraries inside BubbleUPnP.

I fail to grasp the logic behind limiting UPnP to just movies and music so I suspect I'm just dumb and don't know how to set it up? Huh
nope not possible
(2014-07-24, 15:51)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]nope not possible

Any specific reason for not including Pictures folder in UPnP sharing? I think it's a pretty vital part of a home media library plus it's also accessible from the XBMC host home screen so couldn't it be offered at least as an option? I can achieve this with Plex server but in other respects it's too complicated and un-user friendly compared to XBMC.

I tried cutting and pasting my Pictures folder under Video on my NAS. This way BubbleUPnP at least sees the Pictures folder but trying to view images results in "Unknown error". Quite frustrating. Undecided
No one coded/ added it yet.
If it was vital it would already be in.
(2014-07-24, 18:04)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]No one coded/ added it yet.
If it was vital it would already be in.

OK. Apparently I'm the only one enjoying family photo albums. Wink
New generation people are showing photos by airplaying them from their phones Wink
(2014-07-24, 17:01)Uoppi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-24, 15:51)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]nope not possible

Any specific reason for not including Pictures folder in UPnP sharing? I think it's a pretty vital part of a home media library plus it's also accessible from the XBMC host home screen so couldn't it be offered at least as an option? I can achieve this with Plex server but in other respects it's too complicated and un-user friendly compared to XBMC.

The Pictures section does not have a Library and I believe no Library means no features like UPnP.

There's been a couple attempts to get a Pictures Library started but none have progressed.
Quote:As far as I can tell, by default it's not possible to share the Pictures library from XBMC via UPnP.

No & Yes. Big Grin
But there is a workaround.Cool

You need to install Allcast ( Bubble UPnP or Avia won't work ) on your tablet.
In XBMC go to :
Videos > Files and tap on Add videos...
Navigate to the Photos ( Pictures ) folder on your network.
On Add Video source window, select OK.
On Set content window , select None and then OK.
Don't close xbmc.

Open Allcast and select Chromecast as device.
Tap on Media server > Xbmc ( or how you have named it ) > Video Library > Files.
Here you'll see your Pictures folder ( including sub folders). Tap on it.
By selecting a Picture it will cast to the Chromecast.
Swipe to see next picture.
If you tap on the play icon ( right upper corner ) after opening a picture it will start a Dia-show , playing all the pictures in that folder.

Sorry for bad English.
Very frustrating having to relay through multiple devices. This is a big opportunity being missed since a lot of the "old generation" is looking for a replacement to MS Media Player since it is dropped in Windows 10.

KODI is usually mentioned as an option but not it's current limitations
- no PHOTOS over UPnP (but on the GUI)
- no background service
- what else?

I was thinking about going to FLAC since KODI supports it, but since it is not a complete solution maybe PLEX is worth the subscription.
(2016-01-01, 15:53)howy61 Wrote: [ -> ]Very frustrating having to relay through multiple devices. This is a big opportunity being missed since a lot of the "old generation" is looking for a replacement to MS Media Player since it is dropped in Windows 10.

KODI is usually mentioned as an option but not it's current limitations
- no PHOTOS over UPnP (but on the GUI)
- no background service
- what else?

I was thinking about going to FLAC since KODI supports it, but since it is not a complete solution maybe PLEX is worth the subscription.

I have Serviio installed along with Kodi. Serviio can serve pictures to the Kodi client. Works a treat.