Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: load already downloaded (cached) subtitles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm on 13.2 beta and suppose I do the following:

1. start playing a movie from a remote source like HTTP (i.e. not local hard drive/network)
2. while playing, I can add subtitles for it using some subtitle add-on
3. subtitles show just fine
4. stop the movie
5. resume/restart playing the same movie at a later time, from the same remote location
6. the previously downloaded subtitles are not showing ... I have to download them again

However, I can see the subtitles were cached in the XBMC/cache folder.

Is it possible to have XBMC load them automatically rather than having to download them every time I start/resume playing the movie from the remote location?

Cheers
Here is what you need to do.

Press ok button on remote or equivalent to bring up OSD (wiki) Select subtitles button and select enable. If a local subtitle is present it will be loaded and used.

like so.

You can make this permanent i.e always enbaled subtitles in Subtitles (wiki) settings as well.

Sure wiki info can do with updating as well, so thanks in advance for doing it Wink
(2014-07-24, 20:34)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what you need to do.

Press ok button on remote or equivalent to bring up OSD (wiki) Select subtitles button and select enable. If a local subtitle is present it will be loaded and used.

You can make this permanent i.e always enbaled subtitles in Subtitles (wiki) settings as well.

Sure wiki info can do with updating as well, so thanks in advance for doing it Wink

Thanks but that's not the problem. I am streaming a movie from a remote source. If you read my post, you'll see that I know how to add subtitles. The problem is when I stop the movie and resume playing later. Currently I am forced (seemingly) to re-download the subtitles rather then using the previously downloaded ones which were cached (I can see them int he XBMC/cache folder).
You're playing a movie from an add-on. You need to ask the add-on author to support this.
(2014-07-24, 23:06)normadize Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-24, 20:34)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what you need to do.

Thanks but that's not the problem. I am streaming a movie from a remote source. If you read my post, you'll see that I know how to add subtitles. The problem is when I stop the movie and resume playing later. Currently I am forced (seemingly) to re-download the subtitles rather then using the previously downloaded ones which were cached (I can see them int he XBMC/cache folder).

Yes, This is the way to enable subs that you have previously downloaded, you can also look at where the subtitles is being stored, Videos_Settings#Subtitles (wiki) in addition to whatever have already explained, Now if the case is you are using some remote stream and the sub is not then actually downloaded, that sounds like what Ned Scott said.

Well, if not, cant help you, sorry ;P
Thanks both for the answers.

@Ned: I'm not sure I understand correctly. I have not installed any add-ons to play a movie from a http:// source (which is what I'm doing). Is that a preinstalled add-on? Do you mean that if I play any internet stream then it must be via an add-on?

The subtitle file is present in XBMC/cache and has the same name as the remote file name. I would have expected XBMC to load subtitles from that cache folder first. Is that part of an add-on? Would you care to provide a pointer to the add-on page so I can write a feature suggestion?

@universal: I edited my first post to better explain my scenario. When I play the same movie again at step 5 (i.e. after I had stopped it and after I had downloaded subtitles during the previous play), then clicking the "Subtitles" button does not show any option except "Download", as if there are no subtitles present at all ... even though they *have* been downloaded and the .srt file is present in XBMC/cache. I'm forced to re-download them.
Did you setup the subtitle download location in settings ?

Could you give some more detail about the location where you play this video from ?
Is it a WebDAV location you added as source?
(2014-07-25, 08:10)Kib Wrote: [ -> ]Did you setup the subtitle download location in settings ?

Could you give some more detail about the location where you play this video from ?
Is it a WebDAV location you added as source?

I was just about to reply and say that if I set a custom folder for subtitles in Settings > Video > Subtitles then:
- with a Webdav source, subtitles are reloaded on next play automatically
- with a HTTP source, they are not

In both cases however, subtitles are downloaded in the custom folder, with the same name. Why not re-load subtitles for HTTP as well?

Side question: HTTP/s is much faster to start playing than WebDav/s - does XBMC also fetch metadata from file headers when using WebDav but not when using HTTP? I seem to be noticing that when a library with movies is open (details such as SD/HD, 1080p/720p, play time, etc start appearing one by one every second or so).