Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problem with 3D and MKV embedded subs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I don't know (but doubt) if this is a platform specific problem, so I didn't post it under any specific platform forum.

I've found that if I play an mkv with embedded subs through XBMC the subs are shown in 2D. This means that the subs will be shown twice on screen. However, if I play the same movie with VLC they are rendered correctly.

Is this a known bug, and is something being done about it?

Cheers!

EDIT: This is on the latest version (13.1)
I have the same problem with:

OpenElec 4.0.7 on RasPi
XBMC for Windows.

I would add also that it's impossible to disable this kind of subs on 3d mkv even if I switch to "mono 2d".
I'm pretty sure I can disable them. Have you checked if they're forced or something? I've "fixed" it by extracting the sub and then convert them to standalone subs Smile Takes time, and running OCR on something I don't strictly have to is something I try to avoid Wink
Subs doesn't have force flag.
With mkvtoolnix I can see the are VobSub format.

With this situation i can't disable them.
Same problem here. I rip with DVD Fab and they are Chinese so there's a language barrier but apparently it's something they are working on.
Posting "me too" does not a proper bug report make, pastebin your Debug log (wiki)s for everyone that has this problem or the bug doesn't exist.
hi guys:
i got the same issue BUT i came here with logs Smile

the xbmc log: http://88.191.136.106/logs/xbmc-amd64.log
the mediainfo about the file: http://88.191.136.106/logs/mediainfo.txt

the error occurs on my raspberry pi to (so i dont think it's an arch bug)

if the little flag "3D" is present in the movies list: it's working fine, but in the bug case the flag is just "HD"
my movie is a side by side 3D, i tried with others movies who just had "HD" flag : same issue

just tell me if you need any other informations Smile
To add to this, I've just encountered the same problem and from what I'm seeing this is specific to VobSub type subtitles (IDX/SUB file pairs).

SRT subs do not have this problem as far as I can tell, it is strictly related to the VobSub (IDX+SUB) format.

The bug descriptions provided above are accurate, but to summarise, the problems are:

1. Although you are a watching a 3D movie in 3D (correctly), the subtitles appear duplicated next to each other (in SBS mode) as you would expect if you were still viewing the 3D movie itself in 2D mode.

This is specific to 3D movies and I have only tested SBS myself.

2. You cannot disable the subtitles, no matter what you do. I am not sure if this is specific to 3D movies only or if this is a general problem with VobSub subtitles in XBMC.
The simple answer is to download some srt subtitles and delete the vobsub titles.

Are these vobsubs already in stereo ? xbmc doubles the subtitles, assuming they are mono to start with. So if they are already stereo they will be doubled up.
I have the same issue.
@nickr: You are correct in saying that the simple answer is what you say it is, but that's not THE answer to this problem.

XBMC should really be catering for both possibilities and offer a way for you to tell it what it's working with.

I can accept the fact that it cannot necessarily know what it's dealing with (3D subtitles or 2D subtitles) automatically, but there should be a way to tell it.

The problem right now is that it's very easy to end up with either. I've come across quite a few SBS movies with 3D subtitles that have already been duplicated for each eye.

On the other hand, I've also got a fair number of SBS movies with 2D subtitles included, with no duplication.

Clearly, that means no one way of handling them is sufficient.

It's unfortunate that the standards for this kind of thing aren't more strict, but that's the way it is. Ultimately the only thing that really makes sense is for the player to handle both.

Additionally, the fact that you cannot disable the subs at all if they are of the VobSub type appears to be an outright bug. It should be possible to turn them off because they are not embedded.
Indeed that is a bug if you cannot turn them off.

My solution is, I accept, a workaround.