Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Openelec - update and full use of SD space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just installed openelec on my raspberry pi following below instruction. I have applied the instruction for Mac OSX and used a pre-built image.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ab=Mac_OSX
http://openelec.thestateofme.com/OpenELE....6.img.zip

After installing, I wanted to update to Gotham / Openelec 4.0. I changed the setting to automatic update, but this does not work. Also, I have realized that not the full space of the SD is accessible, which I also thought openelec wouldo do automatically.

Any help appreciated!!!
It won't automatically update through major versions (ie 3.xx won't upgrade to 4.xx).

I have to ask why you didn't start with 4.07 in the first place?

You can manually update with this method (this is all on the computer not on the rpi):

1, download the latest version from http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...-pi-builds - the tar file not the diskimage file.

2. Extract the tar file on your hard drive.

3. Find the KERNEL and SYSTEM files in the extracted directory. They are in the target subdirectory.

4. Transfer them to the raspberry pi openelec system with scp. They need to go in the ~/.update directory. The commandline I would use would be:

Code:
scp KERNEL KERNEL.md5 SYSTEM SYSTEM.md5 root@openelcipaddress:~/.update/
You will be asked for the password which is openelec.

Once the files have transferred you should be able to reboot the rpi machine and it will come up in version 4.07. It will reboot twice to compete this operation.

I am not sure on the expanding to fill the SD card issue.
Was just an oversight. If you follow the wiki download link, it gets you to the following site http://openelec.thestateofme.com. I just took the image file from this site, not noticing that I have to go into a separate folder, where I can find a newer release.

Let me do a fresh install now and report back. Updates from 4.00 onwards will be automatical I assume?

Thanks again!!!
Yes except I think 4.07 will be the last 4.0 release as they are working on 4.2 now. Whether 4.07-->4.2 will update I do not know.

By the way, I don't know who made those packages, but I would stick to the official openelec downloads from openelec.tv unless you know why you want to go outside their packages.
Thanks, I have updated to 4.00, which immediately got auto-updated to 4.07. So, this is great. Fingers crossed that 4.2 will be an auto-updated as well.

I used the image referred to on the openelec wiki page. So, assumed this would be a formally approved package. From what I have seen, the only other way would to be build the image myself, which may not be too easy on mac osx?
I still wonder why you downloaded 4.00 when the first option offered to you is 4.07. Never mind, you got there!
(2014-07-27, 03:45)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I have realized that not the full space of the SD is accessible, which I also thought openelec wouldo do automatically.

It should resize the partition automatically when installing with a 4.x image, but installing a 3.2.x image then upgrading to 4.x may leave with you with a small SD /storage partition, in which case run the following command and reboot:
Code:
touch /storage/.please_resize_me
to resize the /storage partition so that all available space is used.
Would that work Ok on a NOOBS card? Fairly certain I deleted the Os's (RaspBMC, Raspbian etc) I didn't need on one of mine, so that command would fill in the gaps left by their removal?
That may depend on whether their partitions are still there. Try it and see, what have you got to lose?
(2014-07-27, 12:54)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]That may depend on whether their partitions are still there. Try it and see, what have you got to lose?

Ah yes, good point, forgot about those pesky partitions..
(2014-07-27, 10:00)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I still wonder why you downloaded 4.00 when the first option offered to you is 4.07. Never mind, you got there!

Actually, it is a wrong reference in the openelec wiki (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ab=Mac_OSX). The Mac OSX installation description don't link to the official image, but to a web site with 3.0.6 and 4.0.0 images.

Only now realized that the wiki is outdated and by now official images exist.
To ensure the longevity of your SD card you may want to use not all your space (just like you would do with an SSD).
Having problems with free cable

Lots of Television channels don't work, is there something I'm missing
@JOHN410 - welcome to the forums.

Your question appears to have nothing to do with this thread. I suggest you start a new thread (assuming freecable is an allowed discussion point on this forum).
Just realized that I am actually still on 4.0.0 (see this in the command lines at startup) and Gotham. Will it eventually update itself to 4.0.7 and/or Gotham 13.1 or 13.2?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2