Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple external HDDs with changing drive letters.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to avoid issue with changing drive letters on external HDDs?

My movie/serie collection spans on several external HDs and not all are attached to the system simultaneously. I tend to remove and plug drives in as needed but this gives me an issue that drive letters may be different each time because of that. And that leads XBMC to tell "this file is no longer available". Is there solution to avoid that?

I'm rather new with XBMC so I'm not very familiar with it yet...
Windows plays musical chairs with drive letters, just leave a USB pen drive in on boot, and your drive order went out the window, along with associated paths. A work-around for this issue is to manually name your HD's and give them a letter way down the alphabet starting in reverse order like 'V' named Video etc.. (You do this with the computer management tool, click on the drive and use the menu to rename and change the drive letter). Once manually set windows should maintain that drive letter, but you can always check that the NAME matches the drive letter to be sure there is no surprises. A fresh plug-in will always get the next drive order starting from the first part of the alphabet after 'C' but will not displace drives X Y Z