Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS through tv to reciever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello

I am having trouble getting XBMC to send DTS audio to my reciever.
I am running XBMC 13.1 on my laptop which is connected to my tv using HDMI.
My TV is connected to my reciever with an optical cable.

When playing the same video in VLC, it works as intended, my reciever tells me it is using DTS so im certain this is just a matter of setting XBMC up correctly.
What are the audio settings i need to user for my setup.

Thanks.
What OS are you using ?
(2014-07-30, 10:13)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]What OS are you using ?

I am running windows 7.
enable the advanced or expert level in confluence settings (lower left) and in system->system->audio enable passthrough for dts content.
To expand on the above, once in Expert setting mode:

1. Select "Audio output device" as "WASAPI - HDMI"
2. Set "Number of channels" to "2.0" - Note: that most TV HDMI inputs and SPDIF are only 2 channel, this is the bandwidth expressed as number of PCM channels, hence the lossy compressed formats such as Dolby Digital can pass over a PCM 2.0 connection as it has much less bandwidth despite being 5.1
3. Turn on "Enable Passthrough"
4. Select "Passthrough output device" as "WASAPI - HDMI"
5. Ensure "Dolby Digital capable receiver" is enabled
6. Turn on "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding"
7. Turn on "DTS capable receiver"
7. Turn off all other "capable receiver" options.

If you're still having problems then we'll need a debug log_file (wiki) of you playing something with DTS.
It would be the first time I heard of that a TV!!! is able to passthrough a DTS signal to a receiver.

If I understand correctly, his setup looks like this:

XBMC-on-laptop -> HDMI -> TV -> optical -> Receiver

I´m very curious about which TV will do this.
He said its working with VLC so i am assuming he really found one of those rare TVs Smile (thought the same at the first read - but when VLC can do it - its definitly supported by the TV).
(2014-07-30, 11:42)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]To expand on the above, once in Expert setting mode:

2. Set "Number of channels" to "2.0" - Note: that most TV HDMI inputs and SPDIF are only 2 channel, this is the bandwidth expressed as number of PCM channels, hence the lossy compressed formats such as Dolby Digital can pass over a PCM 2.0 connection as it has much less bandwidth despite being 5.1

If you're still having problems then we'll need a debug log_file (wiki) of you playing something with DTS.

When i turn on "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding", my reciever tells me it is recieving Dolby digital and not DTS, which is not optimal.

Quote:It would be the first time I heard of that a TV!!! is able to passthrough a DTS signal to a receiver.

It's a cheap sony tv i bought 3 years ago. I think nearly every tv does this.
(2014-07-30, 17:09)ravnholt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-30, 11:42)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]To expand on the above, once in Expert setting mode:

When i turn on "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding", my reciever tells me it is recieving Dolby digital and not DTS, which is not optimal.
Ah yes, sorry forgot about that, so if you turn "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding" off do you then get DTS? note that with transcoding turned off you need to make sure any 5.1 stuff is either DD5.1 or DTS5.1 as any Multichannel PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD will be downmixed to 2.0

(2014-07-30, 17:09)ravnholt Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It would be the first time I heard of that a TV!!! is able to passthrough a DTS signal to a receiver.

It's a cheap sony tv i bought 3 years ago. I think nearly every tv does this.
Nope, very few TV's are actually able to accept DTS on their HDMI input and even fewer are able to pass a SPDIF digital out.
(2014-07-30, 17:09)ravnholt Wrote: [ -> ]It's a cheap sony tv i bought 3 years ago. I think nearly every tv does this.

Absolutely not! So I'm still curious about which (exactly) TV that is. Please tell us which one you own. It would be really interesting.

(2014-07-30, 17:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, very few TV's are actually able to accept DTS on their HDMI input and even fewer are able to pass a SPDIF digital out.

That's my understanding too. But, like Memphis says, if VLC can do it, it might be supported by the TV. Or he is mistaken.
[quote='jjd-uk' pid='1762316' dateline='1406735589']

Ah yes, sorry forgot about that, so if you turn "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding" off do you then get DTS? note that with transcoding turned off you need to make sure any 5.1 stuff is either DD5.1 or DTS5.1 as any Multichannel PCM, TrueHD, or DTS-HD will be downmixed to 2.0
[quote]

Got it working with the following settings:
Aduio output device: WASAPI: HDMI -SONY TV
Number of channels: 2
Enable passthrough: True
Passthrough output device: WASAPI: HDMI - SONY TV
AC3 capable reciever: True
Enable dolby digital transcoding: false
DTS capable reciever: True
DTS-U and E-AC3: false

Really happy i got this to work:

[quote='jjd-uk' pid='1762316' dateline='1406735589']
Nope, very few TV's are actually able to accept DTS on their HDMI input and even fewer are able to pass a SPDIF digital out.
[/quote]
My TV is a Sony KDL-32BX320. http://www.sony.dk/support/da/product/kdl-32bx320
I was actually planning on buying a new tv tomorrow, but if im not able to get surround with my current setup, it's pretty annoying. Thanks for your help guys.
(2014-07-30, 20:27)ravnholt Wrote: [ -> ]I was actually planning on buying a new tv tomorrow, but if im not able to get surround with my current setup, it's pretty annoying. Thanks for your help guys.

Unfortunately passing DTS is not standard and manufacturer user manuals don't tend to be much help either, so make sure to do your research and if possible either demo the TV's or find someone with first hand experience of any models you're interested in.
(2014-07-30, 21:05)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-30, 20:27)ravnholt Wrote: [ -> ]I was actually planning on buying a new tv tomorrow, but if im not able to get surround with my current setup, it's pretty annoying. Thanks for your help guys.

Unfortunately passing DTS is not standard and manufacturer user manuals don't tend to be much help either, so make sure to do your research and if possible either demo the TV's or find someone with first hand experience of any models you're interested in.

Seems that you are right http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-w...sound-bar/
Thankfully one of the tv's ive been looking at is a SONY.
Very happy i was made aware of this before i bought a new tv.Big Grin
You are far better to either

1. run the hdmi from pc-->amp-->Tv (but i your amp doesn't do hdmi go to 2)

2. Run SPDIF from PC to Amp and HDMI from PC to TV for the picture only.

USB SPDIF sound cards work well for this if you don't have SPDIF in your HTPC.
(2014-07-31, 07:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]You are far better to either

1. run the hdmi from pc-->amp-->Tv (but i your amp doesn't do hdmi go to 2)

2. Run SPDIF from PC to Amp and HDMI from PC to TV for the picture only.

USB SPDIF sound cards work well for this if you don't have SPDIF in your HTPC.

My HTPC does not have optical out, and my reciever can't use HDMI.
If the tv i am going to buy does not support sending DTS and AC3 through optical, i'm going to buy a new reciever.
Pages: 1 2