Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: just got a new server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi guys, ive just got hold of a HP ProLiant ML350 Generation 5 (G5) server . i would like to set it up as a home server with cloud and also have my avermedia (avertv) usb tv card plugged into it serveing my home pc xbmc machines . can anyone recomend software that is free and easy to use as im a total linux novice

thanks in advance
Maybe OpenMediaVault? It's based on Debian (like e.g. Ubuntu) and it comes with a web interface, so it should be pretty user-friendly.

I do not recommend installing a full Linux distro like regular Ubuntu, since you'll need a monitor to manage it after installation. I assume, if you're a novice, the command line or SSH (for remote management) aren't things you're familiar with, so Ubuntu Server e.g. won't work well for you either.

I don't know about the TV card, first off you should find out if it runs on Linux at all, then if any NAS/server solutions like OpenMediaVault (there are others around) support it, e.g. through plugins etc.

Good luck
Assuming the TV card works in linux, I would recommend mythbuntu. You'll get a mythtv backend which you can feed to xbmc clients.
+1 for mythbuntu. Its light weight but full featured.
Webmin will let you administer a Linux server via a browser (either local or remote).
The good thing about mythbuntu is that their ppa keeps you up to date with the latest mythtv code. It survives OS upgrades and is based on ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) release, so you know it'll last for ages without a reinstall.
thanks guys . i think that after doing a fair bit of reading about them both im going to go with the openmediavault as its to be a server with a tv card , rather than just a tv server . i do believe omv has plugins for tv cards . guess i will find out more as i go on
Unless you can run mythtv or tvheadend on omv it's not much use as a pvr backend for xbmc, so feel free to ignore the advice you asked for.
didnt mean to cause any offence . im sure i will be trying them both . its just i really want it to have owncloud and access to my files where ever i am and for that reason i believe omv will be the better option for me , so long as the tv plugin works
In my opinion, you should think about a regular distrib, like archlinux/ubuntu server.
With this, you will be able to have latest software (often usefull with media center server) and to install almost everything you want to test.
Ok, it's more work, but i think it's worth it.
For example on my arch server, i have an ssh server, then smb/NFS, a tvheadend server, a webcam which record my home , a madsonic server to listen music/watch video/watch tv from the web, a bittorent sync server...

All depend of your involvement, !!!

Bibi
What is the TV plugin? I don't see it on their site. I don't see an xbmc pvr addon for it.
i did read somewhere that tv headend is being developed for omv but its not official yet . seems im gettin my ass spanked here for going the wrong way :-) so ive looked into mythbuntu more and i do think i`ll now be going for mythbuntu . i might become a regular here as i set it up tho so please be patient with me as i`ve never in my life used linux . thanks for the advice guys
what scares me about using linux is when i read something about installing someting i come across stuff like this "sudo apt-add-repository -r http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamsutton/tvheadend" . i take it that starts downloading tvh but can i not just click a web link to download stuff , and double click/right click to install stuff ? , sorry, ive only used windows lol
Seriously? You can't copy and paste? You seem to be able to type in the forum, it's no different.

Sorry if I appear shitty, but I really get fed up with people who ask for help, get the right answer and then ignore it.
it would probably be a lot clearer to me if i knew someone to show me the basics . it just all seems so different that i dont know where to start . dont blame ya for being shitty nickr . at least its honest

sod it . think i`ll sell the server and just get a buffalo nas station or something plug and play
Pages: 1 2