Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I reset the pixel ratio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can I reset the pixel ratio?
All the pixel ratio settings for each resolution are in the guisettings.xml file in your userdata (wiki) folder. Deleting/renaming the entire file will reset everything however, so I would try making a backup of the original, and then editing out the <resolutions></resolutions> section (it's near the end of the file).

I know XBMC re-creates the entire file if its missing, so I imagine it will just write defaults for any missing sections, although you should note I have not tested the theory. As long as you make a backup first, you can always get back to how your system is now, should you need to.
Many thanks, black_eagle,

Yes, we had tried editing guisettings.xml already, but without access. Though editing / partially / entirely deleting those resolution entries the pixel ratio keeps staying.

Many thanks again.
The only other way I can think of is to get up the video OSD whilst a video is playing, change the settings in that, and then 'set as default for all videos'. I'm sure I've seen a post from you regarding that already though.

As a last resort, if it's something that's really bugging you, you could move your entire userdata (wiki) folder somewhere safe and restart XBMC. That would be like starting from scratch again. Then you could take note of the default settings, and change your original settings to them after restoring your original userdata folder.

BTW, if you edit any of the files, you have to restart XBMC for the edits to take effect. I'm sure you have, but thought I should just point it out Smile
Quote:The only other way I can think of is to get up the video OSD whilst a video is playing, change the settings in that, and then 'set as default for all videos'. I'm sure I've seen a post from you regarding that already though.
Yes, yes, my post I guess, I assume that OSD so to say has caused that problem, respectively I caused it of course, I do not remember but I might have (accidentally or not) have changed such a setting and clicked 'set as default for all videos'. And now it cannot be done, obviously. But there must be an option to reset...or...

Quote:As a last resort, if it's something that's really bugging you
Oh yes.

Quote:you could move your entire userdata folder somewhere safe and restart XBMC. That would be like starting from scratch again. Then you could take note of the default settings, and change your original settings to them after restoring your original userdata folder.
That would not be necessary, just removing the guisettings would be enough, then XBMC creates a new one and the pixel ratio is fine, but my own setting were gone.

Quote:BTW, if you edit any of the files, you have to restart XBMC for the edits to take effect. I'm sure you have, but thought I should just point it out
Yes, good to mention it. But I have restarted XBMC each time.

Many thanks.
(2014-07-31, 20:01)Dirki Wrote: [ -> ]I do not remember but I might have (accidentally or not) have changed such a setting and clicked 'set as default for all videos'. And now it cannot be done, obviously. But there must be an option to reset...or...

Hmmm, one would expect so, but it would appear not. I think the dev's expect only subtle changes for all videos and larger changes for individual videos.

Actually, that reminds me, a lot of this stuff is actually stored in the database, alongside the other video data. This might be contributing to your issue.

Quote:Oh yes.

Ouch !!!

Quote:That would not be necessary, just removing the guisettings would be enough, then XBMC creates a new one and the pixel ratio is fine, but my own setting were gone.

You would need to work out the differences between the files in this case then. Also, you obviously can't have your own settings and XBMC's at the same time, although I think you probably mean your system/skin settings which are also in that file.

Under Linux I would just 'diff' the two guisettings.xml files to get the differences. Not sure how you could do this easily under windows Sad
(2014-07-31, 20:23)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Under Linux I would just 'diff' the two guisettings.xml files to get the differences. Not sure how you could do this easily under windows Sad

In Windows use the "comp" command in a command line window.
Quote:Hmmm, one would expect so, but it would appear not. I think the dev's expect only subtle changes for all videos and larger changes for individual videos.
Well, well, that would be a stran....well, I would say, never click that save-as-default-for-all-movies option.

Quote:You would need to work out the differences between the files in this case then. Also, you obviously can't have your own settings and XBMC's at the same time, although I think you probably mean your system/skin settings which are also in that file.
Yes, the skins settings also. And yes, we had tried to work out / edit the differences, but - I do not kbow why - didn't work the way I would thing it should work. Any idea. Obviously simply deleting the difference regarding those <resolutions></resolutions> tags does not work. In the guisetting file created by XBMC (e.g. after removing the original one) there is only the end tag of </resolutions> in it. Obviously there are other entries connected to those tags, one do not know causing that problem / ratio.

Quote:Under Linux I would just 'diff' the two guisettings.xml files to get the differences. Not sure how you could do this easily under windows
Under Win it is no problem either doing it (e.g. using WinMerge), but it seems as if just knowing the differences might not help, actually those resolution tags look the way they should do what I want, respectively the code between them, but I have any idea at all of such files / programming etc.

OK, thank you, davelr for that advice.
In the video database, there is a table (settings) that links a file ID to various attributes, one of which is pixelratio. You would need either something like phpmyadmin (if using MySQL) or sqlitebrowser if not to edit the database directly.
Oops, I do not have such a database, but it seems to become more complicated (for a person like me).

But this connection to those settings stored in a database or where else might explain, why just editing the guisettings file did not help. Or there might be a special process which replaces the settings in the database.which the new ones one had replaced in the guisettings file.
Is xbmc closed when editing guisettings.xml? It needs to be.
Yes, it is closed then, thanks nickr.
Sorry for the silly question, but what is the pixel ratio, why would you need to change it, and what happens when you do change it?