Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved]Possible issue with my Pi ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, so got a Pi to extend my media into the kitchen. It's running OE 4.0.7. It's not overclocked and everything is pretty much stock apart from the MySQL shared libraries.

Issue - Although the Pi has so far played everything flawlessly, when in the menu screens (stock confluence skin), parts of the menu 'white out'. This is particularly evident in some of the settings screens, where the right hand side of the screen (with the actual settings) appears whiter and much more washed out than the rest.

To be honest, it's not such an issue that I couldn't live with it. After all, I don't spend that much time changing settings, but if there is a cure for it, then I'd appreciate it.

The only other thing I have noticed versus my other Linux installs, is that sometimes the edge of the main menu bar seems to flash brighter for a second or so. This isn't my eyes but it might be related to the cheap IR receiver picking up spurious stuff. It's almost as if the remote is flicking up to the 'recently added' widget and then back down again.

Other than these GUI issues, it's a remarkable piece of kit and I can see more purchases looming. BTW, even though the B+ is now out, its a model B, bought 2 days ago.

I can probably get screengrabs if it would help although 'white out' describes it well. It's like turning up the brightness and contrast on just a part of the screen.

TIA for any info

BE
Just in case the flashes are GPU memory related, try setting your gpu_mem=256 in config.txt.

Although it could also be HDMI interference - try setting config_hdmi_boost=4 in config.txt.

Screen grabs might help, as it's not something I've heard of before (although others might have).

As for the IR receiver picking up spurious inputs, I suppose one way to confirm this would be to enable debug logging and see if key presses are being registered.
Thanks Milhouse. I'll hook up a keyboard later to get the grabs and annoy the wife !! Meantime I'll edit config.txt and see if that makes a difference.
FYI, you can grab screenshots remotely - no keyboard necessary on the Pi - using the script in my sig, use the screenshot option.
Oh, didn't know that - very useful Smile

Anyway screenshots of how it looks when first entering the settings menu, followed by what it changes to as you navigate up and down.

First one is fine, just as I would expect.

The above though is not what I expected !!

And neither is this.

At the first navigation down, the whole right window doesn't change, just the title bar. Pressing down again produces the above result.

I'll change the config.txt now and see if it changes anything.
No - still does it Sad
Can you post a full debug log (wiki)?
Sure http://pastebin.com/kFsRXV3E

Waited for Pi to start up, navigated to settings window, which showed the issue as soon as it opened.

Thanks for looking.
You've got a lot of junk settings in your advancedsettings.xml, some of which are no longer supported/working in Gotham, others are simply unsuitable for use on the Pi and likely to be causing your problem (eg. algorithmdirtyregions).

Trim down your advancedsettings.xml - get rid of the following because they're not needed and/or will cause you problems:
Code:
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
<loglevel hide="false">0</loglevel>
<gui>
  <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
  <visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
  <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

You probably don't need the sopcast stuff either, as I don't think Sopcast is supported on the Pi.

With a sane as.xml, I'm pretty sure your white-flash problems will go away.
Bah !!!!! Read the log file myself, and realised that I had just copied/pasted my advancedsettings.xml from another machine. Took out the <algorithmdirtyregions> section, and now it's cured...

Sorry for wasting your time Milhouse, I should have figured that out myself much earlier Sad