Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fire TV, Mpeg2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi all,

In a nutshell although the Fire TV does not do hardware decoding of Mpeg2 will it still play my DVD Iso's with software decoding?
Yes (I bet).
Plain Mpeg2 DVD (SD) is really easy on the CPU...
As Koying stated, the AFTV should be able to play MPEG2 even in software.

However, with recent FW updates, some have reported that MPEG2 is being hardware decoded with libstagefright on and mediacodec off.
All but positive it supports hardware decoding of MPEG2 (assuming CodecInfo is to be trusted):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1759236
Thanks all, now just have to wait for it to be released in UK
Does anyone know what the FireTV is doing with respect to deinterlacing? mpeg2 recordings seem to be decoded in hardware, but the deinterlace setting in the options is disabled. Is it also deinterlacing in hardware, or is XBMC doing some basic deinterlacing that has no options? My TV isn't reporting that it's getting a 1080i signal, and anyway I'm not sure Android supports outputting that.
I think the lack of a deinterlacing option is a function of the libstagefright decoder. The option appears if you switch to MediaCodec or software decoding.

Unfortunately, MediaCodec seems to be less reliable than libstagefright (on the FTV) -- and my FTV could not keep up with software decoding and deinterlacing on 1080i.

So the compromise is to live with some interlacing.
(2014-08-25, 18:45)angeloaz Wrote: [ -> ]So the compromise is to live with some interlacing.

When I tried the Fire TV when it first came out, playback of MPEG2 1080i material was very poor (I assume deinterlacing problems). This made it pretty much unusable for many of my TV recordings. Are you saying that this hasn't improved now even though hardware decoding seems to have been enabled? Thanks.
(2014-09-22, 17:14)cncb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-25, 18:45)angeloaz Wrote: [ -> ]So the compromise is to live with some interlacing.

When I tried the Fire TV when it first came out, playback of MPEG2 1080i material was very poor (I assume deinterlacing problems). This made it pretty much unusable for many of my TV recordings. Are you saying that this hasn't improved now even though hardware decoding seems to have been enabled? Thanks.

I am also seeing deinterlacing problems with 1080i mpeg2 content, specifically playback of WMC (wtv) recordings using pvr.wmc/server.wmc. I have tried SPMC, XBMC Gotham 13.2, and Helix Alpha 3 on the FireTV. If deinterlacing is on, the video becomes choppy. If deinterlacing is off, the lines are very noticeable, especially with NFL football and fast movement. With libstagefright on (mediccodec off), the video quality is better but the lines are still a problem (and deinterlacing is grayed out/off). I also have XBMC on a Pi and Windows machine, which perform fine with the same source. Let me know if I can help in any way with settings or releases regarding improving mpeg2. I was hoping to use the Fire as a total HTPC solution.

Any idea if there are plans for libstagefright to allow for deinterlacing?
I posted about this last week (FireTV - Deinterlacing). MPEG2 is definitely being decoded in hardware with libstagefright, but it seems that you cannot enable deinterlacing.

I have a PI as well and it can handle deinterlacing just fine.
I am also seeing the deinterlacing problems with all of mpeg2 content from MythTV and DVDs and old home movies on the FireTV. I think it can be fixed in the libstagefright codec. If the codec can already handle it then a change in Kodi. I would like to submit a bug just don't know where to place it. My gut feeling is it needs to be added to the codec.
I have tried some DVD ISO rips with DTS and DD audio bitstreaming and they looked ok to me on my TV.

I am using libstagefright only on a FireTV.
Interested to hear how anyone else is getting in with this. I'm using SPMC and with libstagefright enabled HD mpeg2 plays well, but SD crashes spmc.

With media codec enabled HD mpeg 2 is unwatchable. Catch 22!
Just tried a plain MPG2 PS SD and it played fine. What kind of files does make SPMC crash?
(2014-10-25, 10:58)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Just tried a plain MPG2 PS SD and it played fine. What kind of files does make SPMC crash?

Which settings did you have? Not sure how to analyse file type as its live tv from tv headend - UK freeview.

Will grab a debug log when I get home.
Pages: 1 2 3 4