Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC & 3D Playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've been using OpenELEC for quite some time on my Pi. I have the BenQ W1080ST which supports 3D including HDMI, Blu-Ray, 3D broadcasting, video games and NVIDIA 3DTV PC connectivity.

I've had no issue playing .mkv files that're 2D, but when playing 3D files (mostly OU), the option on my projector to switch to a 3D setting is not available. I've used Xbian, and added hdmi_force_edid_3d=1 to the config file, and without chaning any video settings was able to select what type of 3D movie it was with my projector remote. I added that line to the config in OpenELEC under the HDMI/cec section, but still wasn't able to get it to work. The version I tried was 4.0.7.

I'd like to keep using OpenELEC & not have to move everything over, so is there a configuration in OpenELEC that I need to change?
Are the files named correctly?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=3D

Is "adjust display refresh rate to match video framerate" enabled?

Can you post a debug enabled log after playing a 3d file?
Okay.. Not sure what it was, but at first I had "adjust display refresh rate to match video framerate" disabled. I enabled it and restarted, and without renaming my files to include SBS or TAB it started working. Weird. Didn't work last night, but does now.
I am using 4.1.6 beta (gotham 13.2 beta 3) and cannot get my 3D movies to work.

I have changed "adjust display refresh rate to match video" to always and "pause during refresh rate change" to off.

I am facing several issues:

1) When watching a 3D movies, it does not automatically switch to 3D mode at my television (although the tv confirms that 3D movie detected). I still need to manually switch my television to SBS and then it works. Interesting enough, the television switches back to 2D mode once the movie is over (which is great!)

2) I can use the manual setting within XBMC to switch to SBS, but also this does not work. I still need to go into my tv settings to make the actual change.

3) Even after manually switching to 3D mode, the movie plays well, but the control bar (play, pause, etc) is not shown in 3D, but still as two parts. Weird enough after selecting a menu from this bar (e.g., audio), this menu is actually shown properly in 3D mode.

Any help is appreciated!!!
Are your movies named correctly?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=3D
Not all of them are right. But I doubt that this is the issue. Actually, it also does not work if I manually set to HSBS (2.2 in the wiki entry). I need to manually set it in the tv settings (not xbmc settings). Any more thoughts?
Post a debug enabled log file when playing a 3d file.
I think I have found the issue. When I manually switch, XBMC does not trigger the TV to switch resolution. However, once switches manually within XBMC, it does trigger a dialogue upon starting the same file again. And upon selecting the right mode, my TV also switches. So, what would need to get fixed is to send a trigger signal to the television upon manual switch to 3D mode. Makes sense?
(2014-08-10, 13:35)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]I think I have found the issue. When I manually switch, XBMC does not trigger the TV to switch resolution. However, once switches manually within XBMC, it does trigger a dialogue upon starting the same file again. And upon selecting the right mode, my TV also switches. So, what would need to get fixed is to send a trigger signal to the television upon manual switch to 3D mode. Makes sense?

Out of interest why are you ever manually choosing a 3d mode?
If a video is named correctly it should switch.
If a video is not named correctly, then use the OSD/video settings to explicitly set the 3D format of the video, and it will switch automatically.
(2014-08-10, 13:46)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest why are you ever manually choosing a 3d mode?
If a video is not named correctly, then use the OSD/video settings to explicitly set the 3D format of the video, and it will switch automatically.

Maybe I am wrongly using the word "manually switch". What I mean by manually switch is actually using the "OSD/video settings". If I do this, it does not switch. However, once I play the movie the next time, it actually asked me what 3D mode it is upon start of the movie and then also automatically switch.

Very weird, but the issue that I am describing is that the OSD/video settings do not trigger my television to switch to 3D mode.
XBMC does not generally switch your TV. On some models it will, on others you need to use your TV remote. I you are in the latter category, live with it, or there are a couple of addons that do it for Samsung and LG tvs.
(2014-08-10, 13:51)steve1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-10, 13:46)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest why are you ever manually choosing a 3d mode?

Maybe I am wrongly using the word "manually switch". What I mean by manually switch is actually using the "OSD/video settings". If I do this, it does not switch. However, once I play the movie the next time, it actually asked me what 3D mode it is upon start of the movie and then also automatically switch.

Very weird, but the issue that I am describing is that the OSD/video settings do not trigger my television to switch to 3D mode.
changng the OSD setting is no trigger, it's just a way to tell Kodi to enable 3D features for this very movie. After you changed this setting (or fixed the MKV headers or named the files accordingly), you'll see a 3D button in the OSD menu of Confluence - there you can manually trigger the preferred 3D mode.
Also, if you in general like to watch 3D movies in 3D and don't want to be asked, you can disable this ask dialog in setting -> video -> playback and specify the preferred stereoscopic mode in settings -> system -> video
Adding too that there are a couple of misconceptions about what Gotham 3D support does.

0. It does NOT enable you to watch MVC encoded 3D as found on 3D bluray, or video ripped by MakeMKV from 3D bluray. ffmpeg does not support that, so XBMC does not support that.

1. It does NOT out of the box support switching your 3D TV to 3D mode. Your TV may switch to 3D mode when it receives what it perceives to be a 3D picture, but that is manufacturer/model dependent and is nothing to do with XBMC as far as I know. It is, in general, still up to you to use your TV remote to push a couple of buttons to switch to 3D mode. (See also 4)

2. It DOES enable 3D OSD and menus.

3. It DOES enable you to play a 3D movie in 2D.

4. There are hooks in XBMC to allow addons to switch your TV to 3D mode - see the Samsung and LG addons. However these are not core XBMC functions. Most of them seem to work like "Open 3d menu, push right button twoce, push OK button." In other words they are stateless and assume a certain remote control button order to get the option you want. They are therefore awfully hit and miss.

EDIT 5. It does NOT enable, by itself, framepacked output. framepacked output is a special method of outputting a 3D signal via HDMI that TV's understand as a 3D signal. It is what proper 3D bluray players do. See http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/ . People often confuse it with MVC encoding, but it is a different thing altogether. Certain 3D capable video cards (notably nVidia) will do framepacking on windows, and there IS an XBMC experimental version which will take advantage of that. But don't expect mainstream XBMC support for it.
As described before, it actually switches upon the second time starting the movie. Not in the "video settings", but upon second start. So, it is not a TV issue, but something within XBMC or openelec.
Get a debug log (wiki) of you starting a 3d movie, stopping it and then starting it again. Maybe the log will show something extra being sent the second time, although my own personal view is that it won't and that it is a TV issue, be it either needing some command twice or it missing it the first time around.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5