Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi - new look??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So, since the name is changing...
does this mean they're finally going to get rid of that ugly confluence skin as the default? every time i install XBMC on a new system i'm presented with this terrible theme that looks about 12 years old. First thing i do is install ReFocus... Then i proceed to configure XBMC.

probably been brought up already, but just curious...

Loggio.
we thought about it yes.
yes we do want a fresh new look.
however getting a complete new skin is not something that is done easily. it takes a lot of time to getting it right. also having the same skin under the new name gives users a sign of recognition which makes the transition less shocking.
You could just use one of the other already available skins as the new default? There are several interesting skins out there (eminence, refocus, xperience, substratum, etc).
Perhaps use it to also get the logo matched up with the skin.

I understand the hesitation with changing too much at once, but it could also be seen as an opportunity to get new people acquainted with Kodi. They might see it as something new, if the skin also looks '2014' instead of (a bit) dated, they might be more inclinded to use it (instead of thinking it is some old program).
Keep in mind the wide range of devices the default skin must run on which is why Confluence is designed to be lightweight in order to run smooth everywhere, also for newbies some things need to be more front and centre. The default skin also shouldn't rely on lots of service addon's and other dependencies.
Keep the default simple and easy do operate, the more advanced users should install their prefered skin which is very easy to do.
Change the textures in confluence to make it more up to date look without the need to mess with the skin code much.
Not every user benefits from advanced skins that often break and dont keep up with development. A nice solid skin with a decent feature set, solid enough to keep going is not easy to achieve. Combining xml coders with designers has always been a way to achieve great skins but like with everything opensource one day you have a dozen, the next none.
we don't just want to change some graphics but completely redesign the whole thing from scratch.
priority now is doing the rebrand and getting the GUI cleaned up. In the mean time we can see what we think it should look/feel/handle like
IMHO this is something we should discuss during DevCon as well
Also worth remembering the default skin also has to work with a mouse and on a touch device - there's not that many that cover all bases.
(2014-08-16, 21:27)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Also worth remembering the default skin also has to work with a mouse and on a touch device - there's not that many that cover all bases.

and on a 7 inch to 60 inch screen Smile
(2014-08-16, 21:31)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-16, 21:27)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Also worth remembering the default skin also has to work with a mouse and on a touch device - there's not that many that cover all bases.

and on a 7 inch to 60 inch screen Smile

Bollocks, is my 65" screen not gonna work LOL.
Are any changes to the skinning engine itself planned? I'm not a skinner myself but in the WIP forum I've seen several requests simply ruled out due to limitations in the engine?

When plex launched a major version a couple of years ago they hired one of the community's top skinners to make a custom skin for the launch, maybe that's a viable option as well? (and if money's an issue, as it often is, maybe collecting donations from the community up front would be a way forward?)
we already assimilated a couple of talented skinners to the team recently (BigNoid, ´Black) - but help from outside is ofc still appreciated. But first we have to find a concept with good usability (better than confluence IMO).

regarding the skinning engine. Unfortunately our main GUI engine developer took a break because of private life issues, so there is currently no dev working on bigger changes (like adding shaders for some nifty new skin effects). ´Black is working on some skinner related improvements to the engine though.
Oh that's too bad! Any plans for recruiting a new lead GUI dev?

Butchabay recently posted an interesting concept called Fuse, over at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201764
Apparently quite customisable and one of the most modern skin concepts I've seen. In my book, this could easily be it
(2014-08-17, 23:45)hsus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh that's too bad! Any plans for recruiting a new lead GUI dev?

Butchabay recently posted an interesting concept called Fuse, over at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201764
Apparently quite customisable and one of the most modern skin concepts I've seen. In my book, this could easily be it

We really like to have someone for that, but: as you can imagine this task is one of the hardest within complete xbmc. You need fundamental techincal experience on all major platforms. And you need to be immune to bikeshedding which will always arise once something GUI like is changed.

Btw. we are an OSS project - we are open to everyone and discuss contributions on github, see the cubibox PR currently which also came from outside.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5