Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI Sound remap on 13.2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have upgraded to the latest XBMC 13.2 Git.0f3db05 (Compiled Aug 17 2014)

I am finding that HMDI AUDIO is coming out of the wrong channels (left front is both front and rear left, right front is both front and rear right) and no LFE at all.

I have tried quite a few posts on the old way of correcting this but none appear to work.
I have tried adding an /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc files but again nothing appeared to change.

I have a Zotac D2550ITX motherboard, which runs a Nvidia GF119 rev1.a.

aplay -l output is below:

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
xbmc@xbmc-pc:~$

Audio Settings are:
Audio Output: HDA Nvidia, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI #1
No.Channels: 7.1 (tried 5.1)
Output Configuration: Best Match
Stereo Upmix: No
etc.etc.
Enable Passthrough: Yes
Passthough:output device: HDA NVidia, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI #1
AC3: Yes
DTS: Yes

Any help greatly appreciated!
I just answered this last week, please use the forum search.
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm map
    }
}

pcm.map {
    type route
    slave {
        pcm hdmi
    }
       ttable.0.0 1
       ttable.1.1 1
       ttable.2.4 1
       ttable.3.5 1
       ttable.4.2 1
       ttable.5.3 1
}

After that choose Nvidia (Default) device.

Via: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ON_-_Linux
I already found the article and that is exactly what I have in my asound.conf. Unfortunately the channels are still wrongly mapped and changing the asound.conf mappings doesn't appear to do anything.

my ~/.asoundsrc
Code:
# --auto-generated-- by /etc/xbmc/live.d/01-make-asoundrc.sh
# AUTOUPDATE=True  # change this to disable updating of this fil

pcm.!default {
  type plug;
  slave.pcm "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1";
}

my /etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm both
    }
}

pcm.both {
    type route
    slave {
        pcm hdmi
    }
       ttable.0.0 1
       ttable.1.1 1
       ttable.2.4 1
       ttable 3.5 1
       ttable 4.2 1
       ttable 5.3 1
}

also using: speaker-test -D hdmi -c 6

returns error : Playback open error: -2, No such file or directory

I have to use:

speaker-test -D plughw:NVidia,DEV=7 -c6

Even then its all through the wrong speakers?

unless i've done something wrong/missed something?
No - you don't have "exactly the same" in there. You force the hw device in your .asoundrc - remove that, reboot and choose the alsa default device.
oops. still doesn't work though. Feel like i'm banging my head against a solid wall here! lol

Any help greatly appreciated! Big Grin

verbose audio log: http://pastebin.com/z818WTiX

I noticed that the verbose log seems to think there are 2 input channels on the HDMI :/

i now have a blank ~/.asoundrc
and the following in my /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm map
    }
}

pcm.map {
    type route
    slave {
        pcm hdmi
    }
       ttable.0.0 1
       ttable.1.1 1
       ttable.2.4 1
       ttable.3.5 1
       ttable.4.2 1
       ttable.5.3 1
}

I don't see any different audio devices in the select device list

The sound i get is:
L=L C=C R=R RR=R RL=L, LFE=nothing

The reason it was coming through all speakers and mixing up was that had 7 channel turned on at the AMP..Setting it to Surround more clearly shows the problem.

Here are a few screenshots of my settings and devices after the change:

watch gallery
Try that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...20Test.avi

If still nothing on LFE -> fix your cabling. You don't have an ION-1 so this remap is not for you, just remove it.
Thanks Fritsch, that worked! Turns out my DD5,1 test file is actually a DD Plus test file (m2ts file) Undecided

However, that same file worked fine last week before i upgraded my motherboard and XBMC..

I noticed after the upgrade though that XBMC didn't offer as many passthrough options, but figured this was just a glitch.
Previously i had all the options (about 4 or 5 of them including DTS)

I say upgrade but this is begining to look like a downgrade! Do you think this mean that this motherboard is much worse in terms of HD audio support than my previous ION-A?

Thanks for all your help.
hmmm having checked on the WIKI my motherboard uses a GT610 NVidia video and GF119 sound chip, and the wiki says that that combination "should" get all passthrough except DTS HD MA. The test file you sent me comes out of all the right speakers, but when i play TruHD/DDplus test files they all come out of the front speakers only so rear channels come out of FL and FR. Motherboard cost £115 so i'm not overly keen on buying another one :-(
AHA! Well, after downloading various audio test files the only one not working correctly now is the official Dolby Digital Plus test file. It just happens to be the one that I have always used for testing duh BUT on the D2550 its sending all sound to the front speakers.

And again, this used to work fine on my previous setup (ION-330A) and is supposedly supported on my new mobo (see previous post)

Once again any all help greatly appreciated, as it may just keep me out of the asylum!! :-)
Make a screenshot of your audio settings (expert mode) and provide a Debug Log.

In passthrough mode - _no_ channel mapping is applied.
Screen: http://imgur.com/a/wIAvg
log: https://db.tt/yg8W6ENM
audio file: https://db.tt/AiGDkTRk

The log is from reboot to playing of the channelcheck.m2ts file.

I only have 2 passthrough settings for some reason: these are DD AC3 (on) and DTS (on),

I'm wondering where TruHD and the others are - as the mobo should support them?

I have tried different settings for Output configuration (currently with this log it is Best Match) but no change.

Thanks again for your help.
I have more information: I noticed that although in most cases the sound sounds pretty good it is not quite right.
I think this is because passthrough is in fact not actually working, everything is being converted to 5.1 by the AMP.
My amp (Yamaha RXV2065) is not lighting up with DTS or any other encoding, normally there is an slightly audible click when it switches modes and an encoding type lights up to show the audio type.
I have no reason to think its the AMP or the cabling as nothing has changed with regard to that.

futhermore it seems that according to the log file "HDA Nvidia, SAN SAMSUNG on HDMI #1" should support TruHD etc. but that option is not appearing. It only appears for HDA NVidia, HDMI #0 and #2.

log excerpt:
Code:
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:     Device 4
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDA NVidia
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI #1
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000
11:58:39 T:140415255353280  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_AAC,AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE
Quote:11:58:39 T:140415255353280 NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 32000,44100,48000

Whatever that is - it sends unbelievably bad EDID information. With 48 khz no dts-hd, no truehd will work. Your AVR thinks it is the TV. Configure the AMP correctly to output to AMP, disable the ARC funtionality for testing.
Sorry I don't understand? The amp just outputs to the TV. The xbmc box is hdmi connected to the amp. what is ARC?
Your AVR sends the EDID info of the TV to the computer. It only allows us to send 48 khz, therefore no dts-hd, no truehd will be working. Additionally it only tells us "FL, FR" - 2 speakers only.

That needs fixing _in_ your AVR.
Pages: 1 2