Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recording Now Does Not Show Active Recording for a Couple of Minutes Afterwards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If an active recording is scheduled at say 7pm (which by default I believe starts 2 minutes earlier) I won't be able to see it in the recording now or in the recordings in general for a couple of minutes afterwards (maybe like 7:02?).
Is this normal?..
I'd expect maybe a minute or so delay, but it seems like it takes a couple to register as an active recording and list it properly.
I think this is normal. For the most part our addon is passive, it waits for xbmc to query the state of recordings, when it finally gets around to doing it you see that the recording has started.
Makes sense..
It's unfortunate with my other issue though with the stealing of the tuner. If it showed up right away after my tuner was stolen I would load the recording, but since it does not I just reload live Tv and have the same thing going twice.
Ah, I see. Well as you guys have posted in the other thread, we know that's a problem we need to solve. Good news for you is that it really bugs scarecrow.
That IS good news!...

Hearing the wife say "Tivo would never do that, it would also do..."
Unfortunately WMC by itself was not as good as Tivo with some of it's functions, so I'm not expecting miracles.
since you bring it up: I was talking to a TiVo product manager the other day that I met at a reception. I haven't looked at TiVo stuff in years - I actually figured they were out of business - so I was getting caught up on what they're up to. The conversation was going fine until I told him I write open source pvr software as a hobby. He then said he probably shouldn't be talking to me and walked off.
LOL... Yeah they might want to keep the little they still have going for them as a secret!..

I would have thought they were pretty much out of business also, but her parents have one and it will be used until the day Tivo may die.

I never thought it was worth the subscription costs (there were always ways around that...shhh...LOL), however it was intuitive, and most DVR's still aren't.
It's wishlists were useful, it's suggestions were welcomed, and it was easy to use (and I am geeky and like to play, but sometimes....).
They had their issues (and still do) but they did bring DVR's to the mass market, and they did a good job at the time.
It's unfortunate WMC never gained enough support from Microsoft to continue to make it better, all the effort you guys have done is fantastic however some things you just can't work around to make WMC what it could have been.
Making this and basically accomplishing "softsled" (I believe that was the codename) is fantastic, however their closed nature with extenders was always a joke.
A long time ago I had three tivos distributed around the house. At that time their ability to share data was abysmal.

I have mentioned it before, but if I could do it over again I would have named serverwmc 'SoftSledX' instead.
Yeah sharing of data was not exactly a Tivo strong suit.
At that time I had no need though, we're talking Series 1 DirecTivo's, and me being maybe 16 or so at the time.
So whatever I had in 1 place was good, now a days certainly not the case.

As for the name, it could have been legen...(wait for it)...dary (props to Barney from H.I.M.Y.M.).
Good News Everybody!!!!

Krusty (aka the WMC whisperer!) had a breakthrough idea just over a week ago which has led to today's release of Build 1165 where Im pleased to say among other fixes/enhancements we now have a "live stream protection" mechanism in place! Now if you are watching a Live Stream, and a scheduled recording kicks in on the same channel, the tuner does NOT get stolen and your live stream continues unaffected Smile

I may write a post when I get time about the inner technical workings of it but in a nutshell the only caveat is that it involves using an extra tuner for a very brief period (less than a minute) just as the recording is about to start. Therefore it only works if you have enough tuners. At least it's something though and means no matter what your usage is you can (potentially) always throw more tuner hardware at it if required. Previoulsy it didn't mnatter how many tuners you had, the one you were using for live stream would get stolen even if you had free tuners available. So it's a big step forward in my opinion Big Grin

3 cheers for Krusty - the puppet master of manipulating WMC!

On another note related to this thread, I also added some attempts at triggering clients to refresh recording lists whenever a scheduled recording starts/stops which might lead to the recording showing up sooner than it was previously. however the triggering still relies on telling the client it has to refresh data, the next time it sends a "hello" message to the backend, so it depends on when it sends the hello (occurs more frequently when other PVR activity/usage is occuring, as opposed to when the client is idle)
(2014-09-18, 23:21)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Good News Everybody!!!!
(in the voice of professor Farnsworth!).

This is fantastic news, thanks to the both of you for working on this.
It is really amazing how much you guys have overcome with making WMC a very viable networked tuning/recording solution.
Will test this out soon!!.. Nod