Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to add custom images to skin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've want to learn how to change and add my own pictures (or those I've shamelessly stolen from the web) as icons on the menus. How can I best do it?

I have prepared 4 pictures I want to add for the icon layout to exchange; tvshows, videos, movies and settings.

I was hoping that I could just FTP to my atv2 and change the files but I can't find the directory. I have a feeling that they are compressed in the skins .xbt files?

Thanks
The ability to customize those icons is coming in a future version. Hopefully I can make some time here soon to work on Metropolis.
Awry, the images are in addons->skin.metropolis->media, you are correct, the originals are in the XBTs, but adding your files to that folder and changing the names in the xmls will give you what you want. I will add that it is not simple, but you did say "I want to learn how" so I thought I'd reply. Also, you would be better off messing around with a local copy of XBMC(Kodi) running on a computer first (an Atv2 is not so friendly).

On a Windows machine the image files are in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.metropolis\media

and the icon file references are inside the Includes_Home2.xml, and reside in lines like this
<icon>home_icons/favourites.png</icon>

to change that to your own in a folder under media named "custom" would looks like this.

<icon>custom/favourites.png</icon>

If you really don't want to wait, and really don't want to try to do it yourself, you can use my personal version, it allows you to set them, but it has no support from the author.
personal version
Thanks for the help! I've tampered with it yesterday actually and read up on the wikis.

- Downloaded the metropolis github packagage
- Downloaded texturepackager
- Then I just replace my new images(using the correct name, i.e settings.png, videos.png etc) for the home_icons and run texture packager
- overwrite texture.xbt on the atv2

Other than me overwriting the original icons could I create other complications?

I would love to see a feature where I can exhance these icons within the GUI somehow if I have them uplaoded to the atv2.
Instead of creating the whole Texture.xbt, just make a modified theme.xbt. Depending on how complicated you make it, you may be able to just move the tiny theme from version to version (assuming that the names don't change).
I would still like to switch the theme colors from time to time. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I create my own .xbt with my own custom images and select it as a theme I would still be able to switch between the colors of all other themes?

Thanks
Yes, but only the dither (tinting) and text colors. I use the Leather theme with the Grey theme's color as my default.
Hey I too need to change themes and skins in my video player, some help will be appreciated so i can search coolSmile
Pick a theme to work off of (from the Git), make the changes you want, use Texture Packer to "zip" them up into a .xbt, put it in the skin's media folder (C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.metropolis\media\new-theme.xbt).

Here is the skinning wiki, it might also help.

Fin. Smile