Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using custom menu item for DVDs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Aeon Nox 5

Can a custom menu item be set up to play a subset of my collection, DVDs that are in a separate file structure tree from my Blu-rays?

I'm shooting for a menu item called BLU-RAYS and another called DVDS.

I looked at setting it up but didn't make much progress understanding how it works so any tips would be appreciated.

removed151214

For a main menu item go to "Video Library" -> "Sources", for a submenu item hit the Type button until "Library Sources" are shown.

Select the source that contains the media you want to display. Keep selecting folders until you get to the folder that contains the media you want to display.

Select "Create shortcut to here". You'll then be asked what you want to display - select "Movies" to create a link to only show movies in your library that are within the source you've selected. Select "Files view" if the media isn't scanned into your library.

You can also choose "Movies not in this source" if you wanted to create a link to all movies that aren't located within the source you selected. For either main menu or submenu, you can edit the label of the shortcut to whatever you want.
(2014-08-24, 21:21)Unfledged Wrote: [ -> ]For a main menu item go to "Video Library" -> "Sources", for a submenu item hit the Type button until "Library Sources" are shown.

Select the source that contains the media you want to display. Keep selecting folders until you get to the folder that contains the media you want to display.

Select "Create shortcut to here". You'll then be asked what you want to display - select "Movies" to create a link to only show movies in your library that are within the source you've selected. Select "Files view" if the media isn't scanned into your library.

You can also choose "Movies not in this source" if you wanted to create a link to all movies that aren't located within the source you selected. For either main menu or submenu, you can edit the label of the shortcut to whatever you want.

Excellent news. Will check this out!

removed151214

PhilipW Wrote:Thanks for your post about doing this.

I didn't get started though because I was unable to follow this path: "Video Library" -> "Sources", for a submenu item hit the Type button until "Library Sources" are shown.

Changed to confluence skin from aeon nox 5 just to make sure I had the basic menu items, but Videos -> Library has no -> sources.

No need to pm me about this.

It has to be done whilst customising the menu. "System" > "Appearance" > (Skin highlighted on left) "- Settings" > (Home Window highlighted on right) "Setup the Aeon Nox main menu".

Choose a main menu item on the left then either "Default select action" (and follow the instructions for a main menu item), or "Manage submenu" (and follow the instructions for a submenu item.)

These instructions will only work for skins using the skin shortcuts script. If you want to do similar on Confluence or another skin (or want to do something more complex) you need to look into custom video nodes (wiki) or smart playlists (wiki).
I too am trying to create a menu option that I click on and it will open the section I need, kids DVDs, adult DVDs, kid blu-rays, and so on.

I saw in a YouTube video where a guy had menu buttons for 3d blu-rays and when he clicked on it it showed just those movies. I was able to get one of the Custom button changed to say kid DVDs but how do I get it to open that folder like it does when you open the movies tab?
That is most likely done by making use of separate sources and smart playlists (wiki)
What do you mean? Sorry very new at editing this so not sure what you mean by separate sources. Is that like loading the adult DVD folder then loading the kids DVD folder? I've also tried looking up a video on smart playlists and they are all out dated by a few versions so I can't figure out what to do. Or they have a sped up demo with no commentary so it's impossible to follow.
Ok so I have the smart playlist made. But how do I have it show up in the main menu bar?
(2014-08-25, 15:45)Unfledged Wrote: [ -> ]
PhilipW Wrote:Thanks for your post about doing this.

I didn't get started though because I was unable to follow this path: "Video Library" -> "Sources", for a submenu item hit the Type button until "Library Sources" are shown.

Changed to confluence skin from aeon nox 5 just to make sure I had the basic menu items, but Videos -> Library has no -> sources.

No need to pm me about this.

It has to be done whilst customising the menu. "System" > "Appearance" > (Skin highlighted on left) "- Settings" > (Home Window highlighted on right) "Setup the Aeon Nox main menu".

Choose a main menu item on the left then either "Default select action" (and follow the instructions for a main menu item), or "Manage submenu" (and follow the instructions for a submenu item.)

These instructions will only work for skins using the skin shortcuts script. If you want to do similar on Confluence or another skin (or want to do something more complex) you need to look into custom video nodes (wiki) or smart playlists (wiki).

Finally sat down to complete this today but have a problem.

I have a video files source to \movies.dvd and it's set for movies.

When I go to set up the shortcut per your post, there is no option to create a shortcut to there.

"For a main menu item go to "Video Library" -> "Sources", for a submenu item hit the Type button until "Library Sources" are shown.

Select "Create shortcut to here". You'll then be asked what you want to display - select "Movies" to create a link to only show movies in your library that are within the source you've selected. Select "Files view" if the media isn't scanned into your library. video -> library -> and right click the source."

When I go into Aeon Nox skin settings, and get to the menu items, I have one created called DVDS, and the default select action I set was by clicking video library -> video sources -> movies.dvd, which got me to crate shortcut to here.

When I go back home and select the DVDS menu item, I don't get any movies (I'm guessing because the video library sources shortcut mentioned above didn't work out).

Sorry for the hassle.

removed151214

If the auto-generated smart playlists aren't working then you'll have to manually create smart playlists (wiki) or custom video nodes (wiki) and link them to your menu items. (The functionality I was describing is likely going to be removed from the script in its next version anyway.)
Restarting this using playlists.

I have a directory source with just DVDs in it. \movies.dvd\

I added a video playlist to this source:

Videos -> Playlists -> New smart playlist -> Type Movies -> Name - DVDs -> Find Items Where Path is \movies.dvd\ and OK to finish. (note when I select the source, all the movies show up in a list so it is correctly finding them)

Then to create the custom menu item:

Settings -> Skin Settings -> Setup the Aeon Nox 5 main menu -> select Custom1 -> enable it -> Edit label to DVDs -> Default select action -> Video Library -> Playlist (not playlists) -> DVDs -> Display. and you're done.

Go back home and select the DVDS menu item, >>> no movies show <<< Can't get the DVDS to show up. ?

Seems like there's a simple step I'm missing somehow.
Without seeing your smartlplaylist xml, I'd guess change path is, to path contains
(2014-09-02, 15:52)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Without seeing your smartlplaylist xml, I'd guess change path is, to path contains

So, there's a problem. I just went to look at the file and there isn't one. Though it's definitely created in videos -> playlists.
The file should be located in /userdata/playlists/video

Userdata folder depends on your OS. See userdata (wiki) for specifics.
ah, I was looking for that actual file. It's named DVDs.xsp.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>DVDs</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">
<value>F:\Movies.DVD\</value>
</rule>
<order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>
Pages: 1 2