Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Coming from MP. How to autopopulate playlist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. I have been using both XBMC and MediaPortal since 2008 perhaps. My first rig had compatibility issues with XBMC and I stayed mostly with MePo through the next ones I built. I always liked XBMC's quickness and ease-of-use the most, but there was always something lacking that would keep me in MePo.

Until now. Since their latest interface change which gives even one more thing to configure, and always out of the 10 feet interface (must . I became fed up so I switched to XBMC altogether.

One feature I miss from MePo is the playlist autopopulation option. I thought it had something to do with Last.fm, but I haven't been able to reproduce it in either XBMC, my smartphones or any other media player.

I am talking about the extremely useful feature of selecting almost any song from the library and having the computer continuosly play related songs from anywhere else in the music library, regardless of what the song's tag says about its style. IE. I select AC/DC to play and (automatically) next song is Maiden, next song is Ozzy, next song is Dio, etc.

Do you think you could help me with that?

Thanks.
Interesting. Just found it as a Sticky, but it puzzles me that after 4 years it has remained as a relic script and has not become a feature.
If you don't mind, where did you find this info/script? An admittedly [very] quick search didn't find it for me... Sounds like a cool feature! Basically does what Pandora does, huh? But with my personal music collection? Right on!
(2014-08-25, 04:57)jaydash Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't mind, where did you find this info/script? An admittedly [very] quick search didn't find it for me... Sounds like a cool feature! Basically does what Pandora does, huh? But with my personal music collection? Right on!

It's this one. I knew it had something to do with last.fm, but everything else I've tried just sent them what I was listening to and never provided any feedback data.
(2014-08-25, 05:08)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't this what party mode is for?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Mus...Party_Mode

It's not the same. Party Mode is pretty much like the Smart Playlists of Windows Media Player: It just lets you select songs whose ID3 follow a certain rule. You may ask it to play Baroque and if some of your tunes by Bach are tagged by genre as Classical, Orchestra or Instrumental they won't play. Or you may want a certain set of songs, but they're not tagged as Metal, but as Hard Rock and thus ignored. There are 80 different genres in the core specification alone and most songs may fall in-between.

What I was asking for uses a service such as last.fm that keeps a record of songs that people usually select together with the one that's playing. That way, if you select a power metal song it can create a playlist on the fly with songs you have that are closer to that style, regardless of the genre in their tags. For instance, I select Friday I'm in Love (The Cure) and it automatically fills the playlist with songs from The Smiths, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, etc. all with a similar style.