Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Not sure what I'm not doing, but updates never apply
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been happily using serverwmc for a while without many problems in the playback area, but I've never been able to get it to apply updates within the app

-- ever

I had changed the checkbox to "automatically apply" a few days ago, and when I noticed it was offline completely I thought it was time to investigate. What happens when I try to apply an update within the app is a Windows Installer screen pops up telling you all the possible command line switches and asking you to press ok. After that, nothing happens and serverwmc is exited from the tray

Whenever set to automatic this happens by itself and serverwmc is offline after an update. I always have to go the bitly and manually update, so I unchecked the box for auto-apply

Today I exited and re-launched ServerWMC as administrator then clicked the tray icon to apply the update, but I still only got the windows installer information command line screen asking me to press ok -- then nothing happened

I'm at wits end in this regard, and I don't really know how to log it until the next update (actually not sure if it will log then, but if so I'd be happy to post).

I'm running swmc on W8.1 pro x64
So it's working fine for everyone else I suppose?

Is anyone else running it in 8.1?
It works great for me Smile. Scarecrow is on Aussie time, and he wrote the updater, I'm sure he'll respond.
Works here too on Win 8.1
To look into things further I need to see your ServerWMC log and your config.xml file - please upload to pastebin and put the links here

The update is working well for me (and i assume many others due to lack of complaints!) so I think it seems to be something wrong with your particular configuration/installation.

The MSI installer popping up with commandline arguments indicates that it doesnt like the arguments being passed to it. The MsiExec commandline and arguments used for manual and auto updates are in the ServerWMC config.xml file

Code:
<Updates_LauncherProcAuto>msiexec.exe</Updates_LauncherProcAuto>
  <Updates_LauncherArgsAuto>/i [UpdateFile] /quiet AUTO_UPDATE=1</Updates_LauncherArgsAuto>
  <Updates_LauncherProcManual>msiexec.exe</Updates_LauncherProcManual>
  <Updates_LauncherArgsManual>/i [UpdateFile] /passive AUTO_UPDATE=1</Updates_LauncherArgsManual>

Can you check that these are correct in your system? One thing I notice just looking at it, is that if there is a space in the path of [UpdateFile] it isnt being escaped by wrapping it in quotes. I cant remember where I download the file to, just a %temp% directory i think. Could yours happen to have a space in it's folder path? You could try adding quotes around [UpdateFile] in the arguments and see if that helps. In any case, a ServerWMC log file will contain more information as the update is attempted to be applied

Also just a note that a UAC prompt has to be acknowledged when executing an MSI installer, so that means if you want the Auto Apply to work, you have to run ServerWMC as admin or disable UAC etc, otherwise it will kick off the auto update and shut itself down but the installer will be waiting for a UAC prompt
(2014-08-27, 04:53)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]To look into things further I need to see your ServerWMC log and your config.xml file - please upload to pastebin and put the links here

The update is working well for me (and i assume many others due to lack of complaints!) so I think it seems to be something wrong with your particular configuration/installation.

The MSI installer popping up with commandline arguments indicates that it doesnt like the arguments being passed to it. The MsiExec commandline and arguments used for manual and auto updates are in the ServerWMC config.xml file

Code:
<Updates_LauncherProcAuto>msiexec.exe</Updates_LauncherProcAuto>
  <Updates_LauncherArgsAuto>/i [UpdateFile] /quiet AUTO_UPDATE=1</Updates_LauncherArgsAuto>
  <Updates_LauncherProcManual>msiexec.exe</Updates_LauncherProcManual>
  <Updates_LauncherArgsManual>/i [UpdateFile] /passive AUTO_UPDATE=1</Updates_LauncherArgsManual>

Can you check that these are correct in your system? One thing I notice just looking at it, is that if there is a space in the path of [UpdateFile] it isnt being escaped by wrapping it in quotes. I cant remember where I download the file to, just a %temp% directory i think. Could yours happen to have a space in it's folder path? You could try adding quotes around [UpdateFile] in the arguments and see if that helps. In any case, a ServerWMC log file will contain more information as the update is attempted to be applied

Also just a note that a UAC prompt has to be acknowledged when executing an MSI installer, so that means if you want the Auto Apply to work, you have to run ServerWMC as admin or disable UAC etc, otherwise it will kick off the auto update and shut itself down but the installer will be waiting for a UAC prompt

Hey scarecrow, thanks for looking into this for me

Yes I have a space in my %temp% path (my user name) - makes sense but I can't find the place to modify the config file

Sorry, this is what my serverwmc folder looks like (hidden is visible)

There is nothing akin to that in the "ServerWMC.exe.config" file, so I don't think that's the one you were referring to . . . it was just the closest match to a name. Here is what the serverwmc.exe.config file does contain, just for giggles I suppose http://pastebin.com/dptwuqkd
No, I think Scarecrow wants you to post the config.xml file found in:
%programdata%\vdsoftware\serverwmc\config.xml
Thanks, sorry for the mixup

Okay, I added the quotes where you said http://pastebin.com/dpSTfSb4

Also, here is one of the logs for the failed update http://pastebin.com/bLX1Rknr

I can't see how it wasn't the space in my username at this point. Thanks again for looking into it. That explains why it was just me, and to be fair I titled the thread as an assumption that I was doing something off-kilt Smile
Can you test for me? Download and install the earlier version of ServerWMC, edit config.xml and add the quotes around [UpdateFile] and restart ServerWMC. Then attempt to apply the update. Let me know if it works for you. If so, we will include the quotes in the config settings by default for everyone. I didn't even know you could have a space in your username!
I too was having this issue the other day, so I just downloaded the installer and did it that way.
My username also has spaces in it.
(2014-08-28, 23:41)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you test for me? Download and install the earlier version of ServerWMC, edit config.xml and add the quotes around [UpdateFile] and restart ServerWMC. Then attempt to apply the update. Let me know if it works for you. If so, we will include the quotes in the config settings by default for everyone. I didn't even know you could have a space in your username!

Yes, I didn't even think to just grab the "older version" from the bitly Nod

I uninstalled, then installed the old version and put the quotes around the update block

It updated fine, gave me the uac prompt as expected. Thanks again

Not that it's needed, but here is my log from the success http://pastebin.com/saDKHupk

It doesn't show the quotes in the log
Thanks for confirming, we'll include the quotes in the config file in the next version and update any existing configs to match

And yeah i realised I dont actually log the commandline that is run... I might add that also just for giggles