Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Clean install on Liva Mini - Keyboard stops working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did a clean install of lubuntu 14.04 / xbmc Gotham 13.2 on Liva Mini PC with EFI boot, and finally got it all tweaked but then noticed that I would lose the keyboard functionality.

Keyboard becomes unresponsive 80% of the time when I start a video, The remaining 20% of the time it will fail when I stop the video. At least twice I have lost the keyboard after selecting a menu item or going "back".

I have tested original lubuntu 14.04 kernel and upgraded kernel, and both the same.

I have not had the issue running lubuntu as of yet, I will be testing some more video in Lubuntu on VLC and others to see what happens there

Log FIle
http://pastebin.com/i2szbAhk

keyboard stopped working after second start of "big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov" when log was captured

Update-----------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to get keyboard to fail under vlc or any other program running under LXDE. I did not test xbmc running from LXDE GUI
Sounds like the usual SDL bug. Does a mouse still work in this case?

You can try a helix nightly, where SDL is dropped.
Mouse still works after keyboard failure. As I have no configured remote yet, I can not speak to the remote. Sorry running nightly or beta is not an option for my purposes. It is tough to measure the viability of the system when you do not know if the beta/nightly is viable
your choice. That SDL bug is not going to be fixed in Gotham, as the solution of ripping it out is way too intrusive for point releases.
Wsnipex, is there a bug report for that bug that you know of?

I just want to be sure that said "bug" is what I am running into.

Might a bluetooth keyboard be a work-around if it is a known bug?

I added Apple IR Sensor and Apple remote From New ATVClient fork and it keeps working after keyboard failure

No Gotham 13.2 with SDL removed in your repo? I see your repo referenced at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176928
I already told you how to check if its the SDL bug -> try a nightly.
There is only 1 workaround for gotham: turn off automatic refresh rate switching
I did find that work around for turning off Automatic refresh rate switching in another thread before you posted it here, and yes problem goes away with automatic refresh rate switching off.

I guess that confirms it is the known bug.

you may want to tone down pushing the nightly , as I would rather have to run the stable version for the next 6 months at a fixed refresh rate , rather than a buggy nightly that could be half broken for the next six months. I know I am not alone in this kind of thinking . I always see devs pushing users to try nightlies here even after the user says they want a stable version.

You could have mentioned the auto refresh rate work-around but only did so after telling me twice to use a nightly, and one of those times it was after being told that a nightly does not work for me.
Have fun with tearing and/or telecine judder.

And a fair advice on the go: Your attitude against devs that offer a solution for your problems is dubious at best and its not the first time that I notice it.
Tearing was resolved on this system already, so tearing is a non-issue

As for Judder , well there are many viable devices that do not change from rate based on content, one being Pivos Xios DS. Sure I can see the difference but I estimate that 80% of the people can not see the difference

My attitude is only against devs who always push a nightly down the throat of someone trying to find a work - around for a stable version. I would have felt completely different about a reply that said to try to turn off "Adjust Display Rate to Match Video". There is a HUGE difference in stable versus nightly.

Yes there are devs here and that is great but not all of us want to run bugware and deal with updating to the latest nightly bugware every month

I DO have the right to my opinion and it does not have to be consistent with yours. perhaps it is time you butt out of this thread. If I have not been clear enough I do not want a nightly! This means your continued pressing is understandable, and you comments seem almost threatening or menacing. You do not know enough about me to "judge" me and you are nobody to judge my attitude based on not wanting a nightly, nor for commenting about the typical "use a nightly" reply when there is already a known work-around, that proably should have been suggested FIRST!

Yes BUTT OUT

If I get banned for that, its only par for the course, and my point will be made.

As an example you even brought into another thread something completely off topic relating to my comments about Pivos Xios DS , which were completely irrelevant and only seemed to want to cut me down. If you do not like me do not answer my threads but there is no justification for your interpretation of my comments other than your obvious intention of trying to get other devs to stand by your side on the issues, so maybe they will discredit or flame along with you. I did not speak badly of any DEV I did speak badly of your half baked reply when you knew of a work around. Lucky for me I found that work around on my own and that seems to confirm the bug.

We have watched TV for 50 years with pulldown so this is no different.
your pretty paranoid. If I wanted to ban you I'd have done it already. You have as much right to your opinion as everybody else, but your attitude against devs and the software we provide you for free is not ok.
What you call bugware works better then gotham ever has and ever will for many users. You did NOT say you don't want nightlies in the OP, so what you got as answer was the proper solution. If you prefer telecine judder and skips, then fine for me. I don't give a shit actually, I was just trying to help you out.

Lesson learned though.
tekno as I read it, he only suggested to try a nightly to see whether it was this bug that affected you. I don't see any push for you to use nightlies on an ongoing basis.
(2014-08-30, 16:59)tekno Wrote: [ -> ]...Sorry running nightly or beta is not an option for my purposes. It is tough to measure the viability of the system when you do not know if the beta/nightly is viable

(2014-08-31, 07:00)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]I already told you how to check if its the SDL bug -> try a nightly.
There is only 1 workaround for gotham: turn off automatic refresh rate switching

if that is not pressuring me to switch to a nightly, then what is? I was clear that a nightly is not an option., and Ill update my database and all connected systems and deal with the bugs and incomplete code , just so I can see if the keyboard keeps working or not, and I can keep dealing with updates and bugs......

BTW Switching to a different version will NOT conclusively say that it is the SDL bug you mention. Turning off the auto refresh rate is far more conclusive in determining that it is the SDL bug as it is a known work-around, as there are other changes in the code as well between the two versions .

As for you diagnosing my "paranoia" , again BUTT OUT "Dr wsnipex". There are plenty here who HAVE BEEN BANNED for expressing their opinions specifically about devs replies, including ex-devs who have been alienated. You guys really need to wake up and realize not everyone is a dev nor wants to track down bugs for you. Some of us want a smooth experience. I think I contribute in many ways not only to xbmc, but to Crystalbuntu, Raspbmc (OSMC), and OE . Because my usernames are not consistent across all boards you might have trouble seeing that however.

BTW , you can copy me on your documents that authorize you to diagnose my "paranoia" remotely. No paranoia here, I would just create a new username. That is the real crazy thing about banning a user they can just come back, like a new life in a videogame. It reflects poorly on the admins/devs in the end.
SO TL;DR you can't be bothered to even TRY a nightly for testing purposes and then revert to your stable version? No one is suggesting you become an alpha tester, just asking you to check. No point in laying an egg over it.
@tekno: if you don't tone down on, you'll get the ban you are obviously looking for just to "be right about me".
And I don't care if you make a new user. You have a very distinct way of making yourself noted...
I too am suffering from the SDL bug (it disables IR and keyboard), any idea approximately how stable/unstable alpha code is at the moment? Just to confirm are you saying SDL is removed altogether for 14.0? Either way I'm going to test that the bug has been addressed in 14.0. What is the bug/case number for the SDL bug so I can follow it?

Cheers
Pages: 1 2