Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDR + VNSI + DVBAPI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys,

I'm building a new streaming server using vdr with fernetmenta's vnsi5 and dvbapi. All latest versions from git. Streamer are xbmc NUC's with again fernetmenta's xbmc builds with letest intel patches. I was using tvheadend before which worked pretty good. Now i want to give vdr a shot. I have it running and wokring so far but have some artifacts on some channels which i did not have before when using tvheadend. Most channels run flauwlessly. What can i do to see why this happens? No messages are logged on either side (vdr and xbmc) when these artifacts happen.

I hope someone can help in getting these issues resolved so i can complete my new setup.
You confused me: I fit is vnsi5 then it is not latest git. Please clarify.
I use the following repos:

git clone git://projects.vdr-developer.org/vdr.git
git clone https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugin-vnsiserver
git clone https://github.com/manio/vdr-plugin-dvbapi
That is most recent version with already dropped postfix. Means those version are ok.
Could you post the spec of the server? How high is the load? Do you observe the artifact on all channels even the unencrypted ones? can you try to record a channel and check if yo have the artifact in the recording too?
load on the server is really low: about 6% CPU max for vdr. It runs 2x Quadcore Intels and 16Gb memory.

load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.13

I don't use unencrypted channels, i wil add some and then check. Also as i'm new to vdr i need to figure out how to start a recording first:-)

Keep you posted.
Quote:Also as i'm new to vdr i need to figure out how to start a recording first:-)

Easiest way is just to start instant recording via XBMC.

Is you tuner new as well or did you already use it with tvh? Not long ago I had a similar issue, every now and then some artifact but only on certain transponders. The problem disappeared after I changed the tv card.
Yes these same cards were used by tvh. I have 2 dual DVBS2 cards from digital devices, CineS2 V6.

Currently my artifacts are gone when watching through XBMC. What i did was starting dvr with the -D option so only one frontend adapter is used. I tried -D 0 and -D 2 so both cards are tested, both configs run without artifacts. So maybe dvr is running some processes on the other inputs wehn not in use? I know this was a problem in tvh; i have an optoin 'Keep FE open' or something, after enabling that the artifacts were gone. Maybe dvr also has an option for that?
vdr scans epg and channels on an idle frontend. I did some investigation which points to a general driver issue on Linux. It occurs when one tuner tries tuning to a channel while we read signal strengths and quality. can you try to insert a return statement into this function right at the beginning:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugi...mer.c#L432
You can also try to set EPG scan timeout to 0 which does disable epg scan: http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/VDR...27s_Manual

(you can do this via the vdr ui which is accessible through client specific in tv settings)
After setting EPGScanTimeout =0 these artifacts are gone! Thanks so far.

Does this problem also appear when another client starts streaming or when a recording is started (instead of a epg search)? And if so, can i solve that by changing sourcecode as suggested?
Playing recordings should not have any impact on this. To my knowledge only querying signal strength and quality has influence. Can you try the code change? In case it helps I can implement some parameter to disable signal info, it is not that interesting once you have adjusted your dish, right?
exactly, i'm not interested in signal quality when dish is pointed:-) I will try your code change and report back later.
I did the following change:

void cLiveStreamer:ConfusedendSignalInfo()
{
return;

but the problem is back after enabling EPGScan
hmm, how about something like "disable epg scan while streaming" ?
yeah that could work i guess! strange this happens as on my tvh setup this was not an issue. But as i mentioned before i needed to enable 'Keep FE open' on that to have this working. Maybe this option can be added to vdr also?

edit: in the code from tvh it says: 'Enable to not close the LinuxDVB frontend device in the idle state'

maybe your option to disable epg scan is a better way of fixing this..
Pages: 1 2 3