Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Moving the XBMC folder in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\xbmc to another loca
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having installed XBMC and configured all the addons etc, I find that it is taking up more space than I would like.

I currently have windows 8.1 and all the programs installed on the C: drive and a secondary D: partition for my data.

I would like to move the rather large xbmc folder to the D: drive such that when I run xbmc it will refer to the new location for all the userdata etc.

I have read that this can be done via advanced.xml and symlinks (tried but it didn't work)
To use the -p swotch you need to have xbmc installed in the directory you want to use and all the user data will be saved in a directory called portable_data. Copy the contents of ...Roaming/XBMC/ to that.
(2014-09-02, 03:42)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]To use the -p swotch you need to have xbmc installed in the directory you want to use and all the user data will be saved in a directory called portable_data. Copy the contents of ...Roaming/XBMC/ to that.

Thanks for the info.

It will come in handy for something else I am planning.

For this, somebody came up with a solution for a move to my D: drive

Rename the ......\roaming\xbmc folder to XBMC.old
Open a command line as administrator and use the command
mklink /D C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC D:\XBMC
Move the contents of xbmc.old folder to its new location (D:\XBMC)
Delete the xbmc.oldfolder
Hi,

I'm using Windows (8.1) Roaming profiles and I want to avoid, that 'unnecessary' data of my 'users' (family members) get sync'ed/cp'ed, each time while they log on/off to their PCs, as the amount of data transfered is slowing down the process.

I read the Wiki about Path Substitution via the advancedsettings.xml configuration file, but still don't get it working as expected.

First I'm a bit confused as I find examples referring either to special://profile/Thumbnails/ or versus special://thumbnails/. I think the latter is the right path to use?

Second, as I want to generically move e.g. the Thumbnails directory from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Thumbnails to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Kodi\userdata\Thumbnails I tried something
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://thumbnails/</from>
    <to>special://profile/../../Local/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
but this doesn't work as expected. So looking for a hint, please.