Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tvheadend + openelec + chrombox on same box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so ive been watching and drooling the threads on xbmc.org detailing the great work done to flash ubuntu and or openelec x86/x64 on the asus and hp chrombox units.

please out of curiosity, does anyone know if the the asus 2GB ram model is capable to run openelec and tvheadend server in order to setup a standalone dual tuner pvr and local media playback device controllable with xbmc/kodi?

if not, is it likely that extra RAM will remedy the device usable for the above requirements?

many thanks in advance,
D.
Hi,

I've just (in the last couple of days) received an Asus chromebox (M004U with 2GB RAM) and installed OpenElec. Yesterday I plugged in a USB dual tuner and configured tvheadend.

So far it all seems to be working well - EPG, live TV and recordings all seem fine.

There are some suggested settings here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASU...d_Settings

I found that having VAAPI acceleration on and the other one turned off (VDPAU) helped - live TV seemed to be a little bit unstable with VDPAU on.

Regards,
Tom.
cheers Tom,

im still waiting for the usb dual tuner to arrive, but ill give the install a crack when it arrives in a few days.

thx for the tips also:-)

D.
** UPDATE **

Followed Matts great guide/Installer and also the optimisations nicely provided by Tom-W and got the basic system running very well in just a few mins. Thx Guys...

I spend a little while providing tv channel logs etc and finding the settings to sort out my remote issues with openelec and my xbox dvd remote, but at the end of the day, this little box is rocking and im sure that my ~70 years olds "outlaws" will love its ease of use, and powerful snappy operation. :-)

so, just to recap...

tvheadend will indeed run well on the asus chromebox and a usb tuner on the same stock hardware in my limited testing. and channel change is very quick indeed.

thx for all the help and devs support.

Dam0
I've also got a Chromebox (Asus M099U) however I'm running Kodibuntu. I've recently purchased this USB tuner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVB-S2-Definitio...B00F5Z6LYO

As it seemed to be the only DVB-S2 tuner available at a reasonable price. Does anyone know what setup will be required to get it working?
No idea about that particular tuner but in general TBS has Linux drivers for all their hardware, just check their website. With a bit of luck it works out of the box in Openelec since they tend to ship some drivers most other distros don't.