Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frustrated New to this XBMC Using XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that I am behind the times using XP but Happy with it and don't want to move forward..anyway.. I have installed Eden and it is working fine but every script fails.. I can download addons so I know the connection is working correctly, but when I try to start a connection it fails..
I suspect that this type of problem has been posted before but my frustration is over the top with the dynamics of other things.. Is there any default addon that will check to make sure that all systems are go and is there any help documents that might assist me in finding a solution to this.. I just don't get it.. I am not just an ol fart who don't know nuthing..but this xbmc is not very intutive. either I have become to stupid to live or I am missing some thing
Thanxs
I would suggest first upgrading to a newer version of XBMC; Eden (v11.0) is two years old by now and way behind the current versions (13.2 with 14.0 just around the corner).

Secondly you need to provide more info by uploading a debug log, http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file
At this point Eden is way out of support (much like XP). If you are really insistent on sticking with XP, then you might at least consider trying Frodo (12.x). It still runs on XP and you'll get a little more support from folks here.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/o...c-12.3.exe

The thing is 12.3 is the last version that will run on XP, so you're still on a dead end version that isn't going to get any fixes or much support. You should really consider either moving to Windows 7 or looking at one of the Linux distributions that has XBMC built in (if you're hardware won't do Windows 7 well).
Sry 4 some reason my reply last night did not post.. I know that the newest version of this XBMC will not run on XP.. I am using Frodo 12.2 made the mistake of calling wrong name
Went and added the addon to upload the bug file and the script failed..so I gonna have to find another way to upload that file..

As to this XP win 7 - 8 drill.. No I will not move to a system that I have used and sucks.. IMHO if it aint broke don't fix it and it seems that M$ and the world thinks upgrades are better.. more times than not they cause trouble.

We Just wanted to cut the cord from our Cable Co and had a PC that could be dedicated to that use... I guess this is just another case of 1st worlders thinking that the rest of us just should march to their tune.. SIGH

Thanks for your help
If you are dedicating a PC to be used as a media centre, then I would suggest you give OpenELEC a good looking at. Yes, you will lose your Windows functionality, but that shouldn't be a problem if you really are going to dedicate it to just a media centre.

Kind of difficult to be sure as you don't list any hardware specs, but you can always put it onto a USB stick to try it out before committing yourself to installing it.

See the Openelec (wiki) page in the wiki for more details, or http://openelec.tv
I know Win 8 has had a lot bad press and a lot of people don't the updates for touch so can understand you saying Win 8 sucks, but I don't understand you also saying that about Win 7 which I've used since it's release, but if you're happy then fair enough.
agreed, win 7 was a major bump up from XP, even with my outdated hardware. overall the system became much more snappier. i can't vouch for windows 8 though.
Here is the log file

http://www.airwreck.com/xbmc_log.cfm

as to dedicating this PC to only xbmc fine until other machines shoot crap and you need a back up.

I guess the best way to sum up not wanting to go to win 7 or 8 is we don't even really have a cell phone only 4 emergency we don't social media and we still use Eudora for mail.. and I suspect that none of that stuff will work..

as to HDwr Toshiba satellite t2300 processor 1.6 gig 1 gig ram did notice I need to update to service pack 3 thought it had been done..my bad

but these errors are NOT due to machine it is software and server side errors cuz glancing at the log file I could see lines saying
SQL: SQL error or missing databaseSQL:

and with working with Joomla I know this is server side
Thanks
We still can't help you. If the add-ons don't work then they don't work. Most add-ons will not be updated for v12 Frodo. Thems the breaks.
Hummm Find it hard to believe that this software goes out of date quicker than a teenage pregnancyHuh well if that is the case alrighty.. I guess I just convince the wife that HoneyBee TV is even better and we can watch them in an observation hive undo all the upgrading that man has done in the past 40 yrs that has caused the bee problem in the world Tongue

Again thanks for all the help
It depends on the add-ons. Some of them come from sites that are changing all the time, so it's a cat and mouse game. Sometimes they work for years without any changes.

Your best bet is to find which add-ons aren't working and try to contact those add-on authors. Most add-ons have support threads, either here on xbmc.org or elsewhere.
it seems that there is something missing here.. Its not just one or three add on not working.. its everyone.. that say fail like PBS.org now this one says fail to connect... but when I try to run ANY script it fails..
I have posted the log file to a web site the link is here already posted..
I guess in this barn there is no Cat.. and these mise just play..

Thanx
Black Eagle finally had a chance to check out the OpenELEC and this seems like its gonna be the winning ticket..
My question is can it be set up as a dual boot or does It have to be a clean install Huh

The other question is there a full instruction on how to install this stuffHuh I just can't get my head around how to install this software.

Thanks
post 5 go to that site click read more then get openelec then you will see installation guide on the wiki then Installing OpenELEC it states you can run it off a flashdrive
was just reading that about flash drive. Difficult to absorb at the end of the day when your brain dead
Pages: 1 2