Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: randomly dropping to menu -- SOLVED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Op Sys: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XBMC: version 13.2
Hardware: HP i3 laptop with 8 gig ram w/ additional external usb hard drive for storage
Skin: Confluence

Running Gotham 13.2 on windows 7 machine and xbmc will randomly drop to menu in the middle of whatever is going on. No warning at all, video just stops and suddenly find myself looking at main menu.

This behavior happens in:

Live TV (using Mediaportal PVR addon and Mediaportal server on same machine)
Streaming Video (using ilive addon, Mashup addon etc)
Streaming Torrent Video (Using stream addon)
Movies (from hard drive on same machine - usually avi or mp4)
TV episodes (from hard drive on same machine, can be .ts from Mediaportal or avi/mp4 downloaded).

Sometimes it happens after a few minutes, sometimes it is several hours but eventually it will always happen.

After reading posts on this issue:
- I tried enable and disabling hardware acceleration in XBMC without change.
- I tried buffering to memory and to hard drive (advancedsettings.xml) without change.
- I tried windowed mode and full screen without change.
- I tried selecting different audio output devices (directsound and wasapi) without change.

Kindly suggest what I might look at that is causing this issue.

xmbc.log attached here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=295559
For starters you need to turn on the debug [ Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.]

You are getting a lot of these.... ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::Render - failed executing

I'm not interested in your streaming fetch issues, local content shouldn't be acting the same. Search out issues with core i3 intel driver issues.
(2014-09-16, 19:42)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]For starters you need to turn on the debug [ Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.]

You are getting a lot of these.... ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::Render - failed executing

I'm not interested in your streaming fetch issues, local content shouldn't be acting the same. Search out issues with core i3 intel driver issues.

Thank you for your response.

I have confirmed that all drivers (video, audio, ethernet, wifi etc) are the latest version. I did not find any reference to this problem specifically with i3 and current drivers.

I enabled debug as you advised. Once debug was enabled I stopped xbmc, deleted the old log, then restarted xbmc so this log will not have any extraneous elements to it.

I then ran a local video (no streaming) and after about 1 hour and 4 minutes, once again video stopped and dropped to xmbc menu while in the middle of the video playback.

The debug log is here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=295715

Thank you again for your assistance.
in input devices try disabling options in there works for me
Thanks for the voluminous debug, strains me to even lookSmile

There's a lot of Discontinuity errors, in the audio I see 'Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available', might want to have a look at this page..

Overall quite a few add-ons being loaded, which may have some unintended consequences. Kicking you out of a playing video after1 hour and 4 minutes smacks at a corrupt file (check and see if this file craps out at the same place consistently), other issues are overheating, hardware memory issue, hard drive going south, a software buffer filling up (hard to swallow that one). Throw up the OSD while watching a local video (keyboard o) and see gpu, cpu bottle necks etc. How close to the saturated edge are you?

I think the fastest way to get to the bottom given the above suggestions, would be a temp rename of your installation, both the C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC folder and the C:\Users\julan.Zotac\AppData\Roaming\XBMC folder and install 13.2 as a new simple installation (no TV, add-ons or PVR stuff, basic Confluence) select a local HD media video source (one or two files will do) and let's see if they play straight through, no issues.....At least this action would prove out if your equipment is viable, noting my previous reference to overheating.
(2014-09-17, 02:25)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the voluminous debug, strains me to even lookSmile

There's a lot of Discontinuity errors, in the audio I see 'Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available', might want to have a look at this page..

Overall quite a few add-ons being loaded, which may have some unintended consequences. Kicking you out of a playing video after1 hour and 4 minutes smacks at a corrupt file (check and see if this file craps out at the same place consistently), other issues are overheating, hardware memory issue, hard drive going south, a software buffer filling up (hard to swallow that one). Throw up the OSD while watching a local video (keyboard o) and see gpu, cpu bottle necks etc. How close to the saturated edge are you?

I think the fastest way to get to the bottom given the above suggestions, would be a temp rename of your installation, both the C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC folder and the C:\Users\julan.Zotac\AppData\Roaming\XBMC folder and install 13.2 as a new simple installation (no TV, add-ons or PVR stuff, basic Confluence) select a local HD media video source (one or two files will do) and let's see if they play straight through, no issues.....At least this action would prove out if your equipment is viable, noting my previous reference to overheating.

First of all, thanks for helping me get focused on solving this, and I think I have.
Taking your advise I did the clean install of xbmc which seemed to work find. I then systematically reinstalled the addons one at a time, testing for the problem.
After I installed an addon called: "service.playback.sleeptimer-1.0.0.zip" the problem reappeared.
I uninstalled this addon and, so far, the problem has not resurfaced.
I believe I had this installed from an earlier xbmc install and it has carried over to 13.2, where it is unnecessary.

So if anyone else in having this issue, check and see if you have service.playback.sleeptimer-1.0.0.zip installed. If so, uninstall it and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again to Patk for taking the time to help.

Kizzer31, thank you too for your advice. I did try that but in my case it did not fix the problem.
Just reading up on this, I am having this issue on my AFTV. I am running the 13.1 Gotham that my friend installed for me, If you dont mind me asking where would I locate 'service.playback.sleeptimer-1.0.0.zip'