Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Sorting Frustration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to XBMC and am experiencing THE most frustrating issue. I don't know if it's a bug, a "missing" feature or a quirk of my setup, the details of which are:

XBMC 13.2, running on an Apple TV2
Fairly large (50,000+) MP3 library stored on a Windows 2008 R2 server, running Twonky media server 6.0.32
All the music is stored in this folder / file structure:

Media\Music\[Artist]\[AlbumName]\[TrackNo] - [TrackTitle].mp3 for example: Media\Music\Muse\HAARP\03 - Hysteria.mp3

All the tracks have populated ID3 tags for track no, title and artist

The problem is that the, otherwise excellent, XBMC will not let me set the default display sort order to use the filenames - as all the filenames start with the track number, this would list the tracks in the correct numerical order. It appears that I can do this on a folder by folder basis, but this isn't feasible for such a big library. Nor do I want to have to create playlists for every album.

I've searched the forum, but I don't see anyone with a similar setup to me having this problem, which is driving me crazy!!

So, is there a way to do this - set the default display order for the whole music library to use filenames?

Cheers,

I.
I'm not really sure but it sounds to me like something isn't right.

I have my music library setup the same way, but all my albums are in the correct order.

You may want to consult the documentation to see how to properly scan you music in so it is scraped properly.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library

Also, I assume you are getting your music via SMB? or are you using upnp via twonky or something?
I'm using upnp from Twonky and haven't scanned or scraped anything into XBMC.

I'll look into that though, thanks for the suggestion & link.

Cheers,

I.
Erm, you should be able to set the sort for the view you are using to access your music when in an album, for instance I have skin Aeon Nox Gotham, I select albums, then an album and have it set to display view 'list' and if you left arrow until you get the 'Quciknav' then you should see 'Sort' and mine is set to by track, Just highlight sort and press return until it is sort in a manner you want. This is applied to the view so everywhere you use view list this sort will take place.
(2014-09-19, 17:14)Ikoth Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I'm fairly new to XBMC and am experiencing THE most frustrating issue. I don't know if it's a bug, a "missing" feature or a quirk of my setup, the details of which are:

XBMC 13.2, running on an Apple TV2
Fairly large (50,000+) MP3 library stored on a Windows 2008 R2 server, running Twonky media server 6.0.32
All the music is stored in this folder / file structure:

Media\Music\[Artist]\[AlbumName]\[TrackNo] - [TrackTitle].mp3 for example: Media\Music\Muse\HAARP\03 - Hysteria.mp3

All the tracks have populated ID3 tags for track no, title and artist

The problem is that the, otherwise excellent, XBMC will not let me set the default display sort order to use the filenames - as all the filenames start with the track number, this would list the tracks in the correct numerical order. It appears that I can do this on a folder by folder basis, but this isn't feasible for such a big library. Nor do I want to have to create playlists for every album.

I've searched the forum, but I don't see anyone with a similar setup to me having this problem, which is driving me crazy!!

So, is there a way to do this - set the default display order for the whole music library to use filenames?

Cheers,

I.

Twonky can be configured on how to display the metadata properly (which fields, the order, etc). If that doesn't work, select not the main Twonky share (in XMBC) as source, but the 'Folder' output from Twonky. And then let XBMC sort out the rest.
Why put twonky in the mix? Just share the directory where you store your music and add it as a music source.