Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Basic home automation pointers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Trying out some basic home automation scripting, eg turning out lights on playback, etc. Lights are controlled by sending a simple udp-string. For example, the the following syntax would turn the lights off: udp://ipadress:post/xxxxx.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices (X10, Cinema Experience, XBMC Event Receiver) I have to start playing with. So what would be the easiest way to get something up?
After a night of tinkering, I have set up an sh-script which executes a single command. For example, calling Lightsoff.sh will turn the lights off. Tested it, works from the commandline and cron. :-)

So now I'm contemplating how to get XBMC to call said script. Any ideas? Thanks!
Do you know OpenHab? http://www.openhab.org

You can use it to control your lights (it does supports sending UDP data) and It already have a binding to XBMC - you can use it to monitor a xbmc event (eg play starts) and fire an udp command.

I'm using it to control my home automation.
I didn't know Openhab, but I'll certainly keep it in mind. Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

I'm still looking for something simpler, though. As I have the bash-scripts already set up, it's basically a question of XBMC running script A, B and C when a movie starts, pauses and ends. Anyone get any ideas? I'll do some googling in the meantime too. :-)
Briljant. Thanks a lot!