Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 14 Win Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Installed the 0928 nightly with the windows installer. I see now that the installer auto-moves userdata from xbmc to kodi. But I only run Kodi in portable mode and messing with my other xbmc isn't really nice. Could the installer make this optional rather than forced?

scott s.
This is actually the topic of much internal debate. I think the conclusion is that it should not mess with the install folder of older versions at all, which would preserve those portable mode installs. The changes to preserve the older install might not have been committed to the nightly builds yet.
Thanks. I might suggest making it an install option that defaults to moving userdata.

scott s.
This is the public face of the internal discussion https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5412

Please no posting of user comments on github, if something needs raising do it here on the forum and I'll make sure it comes to the attention of the Team.
if the user can't be prompted to chose how to proceed, please leave the original XBMC folder as-is and make a copy of it to create the new Kodi folder.

personally, i do all my nightlies testing using the -p switch to keep things as separate as possible.
Copying the folder can last a long time when it is located on an HDD (couple of minutes for 4GB) - thats why we consider this a non-option. You can always copy the folder back to XBMC once after the first kodi installation. Later installations won't touch it again ... (its all about the very first kodi installation).
Maybe you could make "install in portable mode" an install option, which would ignore any and all other XBMC/Kodi that might show up in registry or appdata and create a desktop shortcut with the "-p" option already provided.

User would be prompted for install directory.

scott s.
@scott967 - agreed, that would be a great Custom install option even outside of this discussion
we agreed to that one (taken from github pull request which was merged yesterday)

Ok updated once more. Following "merged" behaviour:

If User installs into a dir were kodi is already installed ask if he wants to overwrite it.
a. if user says "yes" - deinstall former installation and install new
b. if user says "no" - he stays at the folder selection page and can redecide

If user installs into a different directory
a. He said no on 1.b - kodi will just be installed in the different directory
b. He selected the new directory initally without hitting the question in 1. - check if there is a kodi installation in antoher directory - if so - ask user if he wants us to uninstall it. If no - kodi will be installed sidebyside

At the end of installation check for an old XBMC installation
a. if found - ask if the user wants us to uninstall it
a1 if user said "yes" - deinstall old XBMC installation and move the userdata - inform the user about the moved data
a2 if user said "no" - keep the old XBMC installation and DON'T move the userdata - inform the user about the fact that kodi will use the default profile data.

portable data is not touched at all
Seems reasonable.

scott s.
Would a new installation cope with a symbolic link?

I have the c:\users\name\appdata\roaming\xbmc folder linked to another drive.
(2014-10-05, 20:18)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]Would a new installation cope with a symbolic link?

no

we cannot "known" how you have modified you system. every edge case is to solve for your own.
We only support normal use cases
(2014-10-05, 20:47)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-05, 20:18)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]Would a new installation cope with a symbolic link?

no

we cannot "known" how you have modified you system. every edge case is to solve for your own.
We only support normal use cases

Thanks for the clarification.

I think windows might handle that transparently with nothing needed in the installer, but you would need to test. Though if it tried to remove the link not sure what the end result would be.

scott s.
OK so installed A4 build intended as portable install, answered the dialogs during install to support this and all went well. I will do some testing with other options to confirm but so far so good.

scott s.
Pages: 1 2