Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Too much buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am experiencing frequent buffering in my system, which is:

Front end
XBMC 13.2/OpenElec
MythTV PVR
Zotac Zbox Ion (Intel Atom 1.8MHz and Invidia 9300
4 GB memory
Gigabit LAN

Back end:
Ubuntu Server 14.04
MythTV .26
Intel Pentium 3240 3.1GHz CPU (Haswell)
4GB dual channel DDR3 memory
Gibabit LAN
3TB WD Red hard drive

Source is OTA and the problem could be weather dependent (worse in poor weather). Occurs when watching live or recording. Just as bad on my Windows laptop, which is an i5 with Intel HD4000.

Ideas please?
If it is weather dependent then it is likely reception related. Fix your antenna, cabling etc.
Not sure what I can do to "fix" it. It is all high quality, it works fine on a regular TV, but buffers in MythTV. My wife won't watch TV with me because the buffering makes it unwatchable. It seems to me that the BE can't deliver the stream fast enough for the FE, or the FE can't handle the stream.
(2014-10-04, 15:15)ajaxmike Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what I can do to "fix" it. It is all high quality, it works fine on a regular TV, but buffers in MythTV. My wife won't watch TV with me because the buffering makes it unwatchable. It seems to me that the BE can't deliver the stream fast enough for the FE, or the FE can't handle the stream.

We don't have too much to work with here. If the weather is a factor, I do indeed believe that reception problems may be the root cause. What is the signal strength for your TV card?

Additionally, logs may help, both from the backend and from xbmc. Maybe try to upgrade to mythtv 0.27.

A long shot, but I have heard of incidents where poor mysql performance has had impact on mythtv, so maybe dig into that one?

/D

PS

I understand your wife, buffering is unbearable...