Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Distorted sound over HDMI (w/ sample)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,

I have been trying to solve this problem for over a year now. Playing certain files gives me distorted audio ONLY over the front left speaker (the sound is fine over the other speakers). This seems to happen at certain frequencies.

I use:
Pentium G630 with 4GB of ram
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5450 (also tried it with a HD 6450, same result)
JVC RX-8022R DTS-ES A/V Control Receiver

I connect the HTPC to my TV using HDMI and then connect my TV to my receiver using an optical TOSlink cable. Audio is set to pass-through.
Here you find a link to the audio (distortion starts at about 7/8 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbY14FF...VypmBoH8eQ
For this sample I used the Fox logo. When I play this movie I get this throughout the movie at certain sounds, but in some other movies, the problem is not present. Also, it does this when playing either Dolby Digital or DTS.

Every other device I have connected this way (like my XBox, Bluray player or my old media player) doesn't have this problem (even with the same movies/files) and when I put it on stereo, the problem isn't present either.

I've been all over the internet to find a solution, but because I have trouble describing the audio, it's very hard to find a similar problem.
Like I said, I have been struggling with this for over a year now and I have tried a lot, and I'm pulling my hair out. I hope someone is familiar with this problem and can help.

Thank you!
Anybody able to help?
Are you running direct sound? Try switching back to it if you aren't and turning the optimized settings to manual and limit the frequency to 48.
Thanks for the advise. However it doesn't work.
I always use Directsound, I've tried WASAPI, but no dice as well. When I set it to optimized I can't select pass-through, it will only output in stereo. The audio output is through HDMI and the graphics-card doesn't have any audio-decoding.
I've tried limiting the frequency with MPC:HC, it does still output via pass-through, but then the problem remains as well.