Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question regarding legality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know i've seen someone post this in the past but was not addressed properly. Some guy asked a question regarding the legality of using XBMC....people who answered him addressed DIGITAL MEDIA such as blueray or dvd.

MY question is more about watching streaming LIVE content. For example, I live in California. I'm currently in asia. I have XBMC installed on my laptop and I'm watching the ALCS game between Kansas City and Baltimore live. The add-on i am using is streaming the feed from TBS. As far as I know, TBS is not broadcast in asia although some of its programs might be.

Is what I am able to watch using XBMC legal as far as tv copyrights are concerned? Thank you!
If it wasn't legal would you stop watching?
Absolutely not. My question was posted so I'll know what to WATCH OUT FOR to cover my ass if it does go that far. But since you've made it clear that it IS legal then I'll be sure to include beer and pizza in game 2. I don't see broadcasters clamoring to have it shut down so I am assuming KODI will only get bigger and better.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I never said it was legal or not
Oh...so you never really gave a direct answer to the question. Purely rhetorical answer. Gotcha. And no one seems to be giving any definitive answers.......
If you are using the MLB.tv addon MLBMC, there is a legal stream for non-US users which streams the feed from TBS. You need to be a MLB.tv subscriber to get the stream though. If you used any other addon, it's probably an illegal stream.
There is no legal issue in using XBMC that Im aware of.

The same cannot be said for some addons which "stream" certain content, Such addons are not officially supported nor provided, some of these can indeed be illegal depending on country you are in and even all countries, no idea.

Anyway Ill unsubscribe, its already lost interest on post #5 due to If this is going to become another piracy talk and nonsense thread, then know that its been discussed to death in forums before and all the answers you seek can be found then there if you looking for more specific responses.
Got it. Thanks Nate, Universal. I guess there is no one correct answer to this ( for now ) so I guess I'll enjoy my add-ons until there's further word on this matter. Thanks again guys. Cheers.
obgmugen,

Please help. Oriole fan here in Balto, without cable. Dying to watch the game. Was just referred to xbmc, but can't figure out how to use it. How do I use xbmc to watch the game?
we're not giving advise on how to pirate stuff. Natethomas mentioned the MLBMC addon which you can install from our addon repositories but requires a subscription/login on MLB.tv. If you're not willing to subscribe there you have to use google to figure other ways that might work.

@obgmugen
In general: anything that you can watch via third party addons that otherwise would require you to pay for it (subscription, paytv, movies) can be considered illegal in most countries.
@da-anda thank you very much for the response. I think THAT was the answer i was looking for.

@PeteJRN: I would refer you to youtube instead buddy. Sorry....but going by the answers given here, i won't want to post anything that might get me or other people in trouble. Just go to youtube and do a search. I ASSURE YOU that you will find answers there. Sorry for the late response....I did not check the xbmc forums for over a week.
(2014-10-15, 03:27)PeteJRN Wrote: [ -> ]obgmugen,

Please help. Oriole fan here in Balto, without cable. Dying to watch the game. Was just referred to xbmc, but can't figure out how to use it. How do I use xbmc to watch the game?

It's not useful for this year, but next year I highly recommend getting the MLB.tv package and then signing up for unblock.us. That way you're actually paying for the content and, to the best of my knowledge, not technically doing anything illegal.