Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Precompiled binaries / repo for Debian?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to be making the switch to Debian and was wondering if there are any plans to maintain a seperate, more up to date repo with official precompiled binaries or is this FAQ post only referring to Debian's official repo? Judging from the wiki, I take it Debian doesn't include official builds.

FAQ: 1.1 Supported Linux distributions
Quote:Team XBMC provides precompiled binaries for Ubuntu from the Team XBMC PPA. In the future there will also be precompiled binaries for Debian and Steam OS.

Would be nice to have official precompiled Kodi in the next Debian Stable via external repos. Smile
maybe, but probably not. I just don't have the time for it atm.
While debian has many things going for it, XBMC support is not one of them.

Honestly, stick to openelec, ubuntu or archlinux. In that order IMHO.

Of course if you want a desktop, or have other uses for the computer the order of preference changes, but debian is still not included.
OK, so what if I compile it myself? Will it be have the same performance/parity as the Ubuntu versions?
Yes, the main problem I believe is that debian doesn't like internal versions of external libraries like ffmpeg. If you compile yourself you should be ok I believe.
depends on your hardware and debian version. Everything can be made to work on debian, its just a matter of effort and ootb experience. If you have a nvidia gpu, you'll be fine ootb with a self compiled kodi. Other gpus depend on very recent drivers and kernel for certain use cases, e.g. vaapi hardware deinterlacing on intel.
(2014-10-14, 20:52)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]depends on your hardware and debian version. Everything can be made to work on debian, its just a matter of effort and ootb experience. If you have a nvidia gpu, you'll be fine ootb with a self compiled kodi. Other gpus depend on very recent drivers and kernel for certain use cases, e.g. vaapi hardware deinterlacing on intel.

I have Nvidia Optimus (Maxwell) / Haswell combo... Was hoping to compile it for Intel, though I assume the binaries already in the Debian Testing repos should be fine?
No one knows besides debian ... this is an xbmc version not done by us.
debians binaries are often not fine at all. You won't get any support from us using them.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try build-dep and then compile it from source once I get a chance.
Ok, so I have a question regarding building with internal FFMPEG in Debian:

I read that they've included ffmpeg as well as libav in unstable/experimental as of a few months ago:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/20...01010.html
Quote:How is FFmpeg packaged for Debian?

- We built the packages in a way that avoids filename conflicts.
The sonames of the FFmpeg libraries are suffixed with '-ffmpeg',
e.g. libavcodec-ffmpeg.so.55 instead of libavcodec.so.55.
This also means that only if a package uses pkg-config to detect
the correct linker flags, you can simply install e.g. the
libavcodec-ffmpeg-dev package and it will work transparently.
(About half the packages build with no further change, see
stats below.)

- From a user point of view, the tools have different names anyway,
e.g. ffmpeg and avconv, except for qt-faststart, which is
therefore packaged in a separate binary package that diverts
the Libav version to qt-faststart.libav.
Yes, you can have /usr/bin/ffmpeg and /usr/bin/avconv at the same
time without conflicts.

- The development packages have to conflict, because they provide
header files (and pkg-config files) with identical names in
identical locations.

- To avoid potential problems when a program is linked against
FFmpeg libraries and other libraries, which in turn are linked
against Libav, the symbol versions are changed to e.g.
LIBAVCODEC_FFMPEG_55 instead of LIBAVCODEC_55.

So in other words, would I be able to add the debian package here: https://packages.debian.org/sid/ffmpeg via apt-pinning in Debian Testing, do a build-dep xbmc and finally compile xbmc with the proper internal ffmpeg? If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it, I fully understand that you don't support Debian so I'll be doing this at my own behest. (no complaining from me if something melts)
its still not our ffmpeg, meaning our patches are missing. Still much better then libav
(2014-10-19, 16:59)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]its still not our ffmpeg, meaning our patches are missing. Still much better then libav

Sure, it's not the right version, though I assume it mostly work properly. I read the whole deal about libav... it was all just a power play from earlier ffmpeg team, their forked version version isn't apparently any better in terms of security updates - they just have a poor man's version of ffmpeg with fewer features.

Edit: It's this kind of BS that really irritates me... I guess I'll be moving back to Ubuntu when 14.10 ships. What desktop environments are you guys using?
Mint makes a nice ubuntu compatible machine with a number of non ubuntuish desktops. I use cinnamon on Mint 13.
(2014-10-20, 01:24)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Mint makes a nice ubuntu compatible machine with a number of non ubuntuish desktops. I use cinnamon on Mint 13.

Yea I really like Mint so I may end up using that. Going to see if Ubuntu has an expert installer so I can install it without the common desktop environment. The Ubuntu base is very nice, their default bundled software is less so.

Edit: so they've removed the alternate installer images... I also read someone say the server edition has different kernel optimizations, so I suppose I'll just use the standard installer Smile
Pages: 1 2