Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: The people behind XBMC Hub are again harming the reputation of XBMC/Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The people behind the infamous XBMC Hub, now "TV Addons", have release a Android fork of XBMC/Kodi called "TVMC" that is generating bad press

http://betanews.com/2014/10/16/tvmc-simp...ur-mobile/
http://torrentfreak.com/tvmc-battles-pop...ay-141014/
http://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/2014/...p-removed/

These people seem to be hard at work on making people associate XBMC/Kodi with piracy, causing actual malice to its reputation.

(2014-09-25, 13:50)Hedda Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is good news or bad news, but I did see this today http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/09/2...tv-addons/

Maybe it should even be classified as a warning instead of news, however it is definitely relevant to to the other sticky thread here which is closed.

This from the same site that previously added more confusion http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/02/0...ing-rooms/

Time to sue them for defamation? or sick some lawyers on them with a cease and desist order for putting XBMC/Kodi under false light?
Actually, I'm fairly sure that's all legal, or legal with regards to how it affects us. They are not using our name. They are making clear it's not us. And they're forking the code. That's pretty much exactly what our basic goal is.
Yeah, this kind of helps us. As long as they're not using our name.
I wonder if they truly forked like Pivos did with TOFU and setup their own addon servers and got their own scraping keys or are they leeching off XBMC Foundation resources. Somehow, knowing them, I suspect the latter.
(2014-10-22, 01:02)MeatGrinder Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if they truly forked like Pivos did with TOFU and setup their own addon servers and got their own scraping keys or are they leeching off XBMC Foundation resources. Somehow, knowing them, I suspect the latter.

I don't really see how it's them leaching off of the XBMC Foundation's resources. For one, most of the add-ons that people would use this fork for are not in our repo. For the add-ons that are in the XBMC.org repo, it's a repo of add-ons, so I don't see what the issue is. If you want Aeon Nox or the YouTube add-on, those are hosted on the XBMC.org repo and that network of mirrors. It's the individual add-ons that are being hosted that are what are "leeching" off of the resources (and not in a bad way). The add-ons are their own open source products, and if multiple applications can use them, I think that's fantastic.

That's pretty much the idea behind linux-based software repositories, which was the inspiration for the add-on system in the first place.

Other than giving a piss about who gets "credit" for the media center application itself, who cares? We're not just promoting XBMC/Kodi, we're also promoting these open source add-ons, which are a part of the larger project.
Nice to know that your server/mirror resources are fare game for anyone then. I'll keep this in mind in my future plans.
I will quota you Wink
Well I think that when spamming news publications they are still not very clear about them not being associated with the XBMC Foundation.

Having XBMC kept being mentioned in relation to piracy in all new their news publishing can't be good for upstream reputation.

(2014-10-22, 01:02)MeatGrinder Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if they truly forked like Pivos did with TOFU and setup their own addon servers and got their own scraping keys or are they leeching off XBMC Foundation resources. Somehow, knowing them, I suspect the latter.
Exactly, so even if they are not using XBMC Foundation server/mirror resources directly, they might indirectly be impersonating XBMC by not using their own API keys for scrapers that get data from TheTVDB, TheMovieDB, TheAudioDB, etc.

If they are also using XBMC user agent to scrape websites like IMDb that might get upstream blocked from scraping them too.
They already got tapped on the fingers by TMDb for leaching to much data under a single API for one of the used modules. So they changed it that the users of that module need to provide their own API keys.

As far as normal scraping, users of "their" screwed up version don't normally ever scrape local content and only stream. So in these cases they won't use the normal scrapers hence not use our keys.

This is speculation of course as i have not investigated how they work internally but it's likely not far from the truth.
The tvaddon guys seem to be very cooperative (in contrast to the devs that left xbmchub back then and keep doing crap and confusion) and don't want to harm us - so if we feel they should change something I'm sure they'll do - we just have to tell them.
(2014-10-22, 05:07)MeatGrinder Wrote: [ -> ]Nice to know that your server/mirror resources are fare game for anyone then. I'll keep this in mind in my future plans.

You mean like when Pivos did it, and then only provided their own mirrors when they got worried about liability? Oh yeah, pin the Medal of Honor on you guys.
LOL, isn't

MeatGrinder == Davilla and therefor, Pivos ?
Jep
(2014-10-22, 21:42)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-22, 05:07)MeatGrinder Wrote: [ -> ]Nice to know that your server/mirror resources are fare game for anyone then. I'll keep this in mind in my future plans.

You mean like when Pivos did it, and then only provided their own mirrors when they got worried about liability? Oh yeah, pin the Medal of Honor on you guys.

I see you have not changed , let me correct your cluelessness.

Day one, Pivos pushed out their source code changes, Day one, Pivos had their mirrors setup and working. Day one, Pivos had their own scraper keys. It's called being responsible plus Pivos is in total control of what gets pushed out to addon repos and does not have to deal with others making silly mistakes.
So it was "okay" to use the XBMC.org repo at first because you guys weren't ready with your own repo right away? You were the one to tell me that liability was one of the major motivators for Pivos going to use their own add-on repo (along with the TOFU branding). I haven't said anything here that isn't a fact.

Call me clueless all you want (Really, do it, so I can ban you. You don't get to be disrespectful here anymore.), but I don't think most people would agree with your view that this is about being "responsible" or doing the XBMC Foundation any favors. There's nothing wrong with that decision, and it makes perfect sense for a company like Pivos, but like I said, no one is going to pin a medal on you guys over it.
Pages: 1 2