Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Crash? Acer Revo Crash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So last night I was about to watch some Pokemon and the episode had a hard time loading. At first it took around 2 minutes just to start and then paused while the intro was going. I restarted the episode and it paused at a different spot during the opening. I figured I'd restart XBMC and see if this fixed the problem. On the restart I see the "Acer, Empowering People" splash screen and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking white dash line in the top left corner. I left it on all night hoping it would conquer this on it's own... but alas it did not.

Have I crashed XBMC?
Have I corrupted my bios?

I'm running Gotham 13.0 on Acer Aspire Revo 3700. I'm more than happy to give any additional information.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!
Nobody knows. And nobody can help you without you providing the correct Debug Log.
Will I be able to get the debug log if XBMC won't even load up?
Try disconnecting your Revo from all wires (power, LAN...) and keep it alone for about 1h.
Then power it on again and try to get into the bios - maybe there are problems with your RAM or your harddrive and maybe again the bios is able to give you some insight.

Bottom line is that it sounds like failing hardware... and of course you won't be able to provide any logs until you have your Revo up and running again Wink
So the problem has changed ever so slightly now.

Now I can boot up and get to the Gotham splash screen but as soon as I hit the XBMC dashboard it crashes (Within 0.5 seconds). Would I be able to get a crash log from this? Somehow I remember a problem with plugins and the internet. I pulled the ethernet and it stayed on for around 4 seconds. I'm not sure if this is a fluke or not...

When it crashes you can hear the hard drive stop spinning (I believe).

Thoughts?
(2014-10-23, 23:59)zlooo Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?

Do what was originally asked and post a debug log....
After it has crashed is the computer still running or does it die?

If still running, ssh in and
Code:
mv ~/.xbmc ~/.xbmc.bkup

Then restart xbmc (or the whole machine).

If the whole machine crashes, try booting from a live linux distro, if that works, mount the hard drive that has your install and try the same trick.
Nickr,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to still be running but is only idling. I can try to log in to my machine later and try to get the crash log and post it here. I might end up reinstalling Gotham later tonight and/or buying a new machine. The revo is about 4 years old and it is on 24/7 (Literally).... might explain why it is having trouble.
Bollocks my identical machines run 24/7. Why don't you follow my suggestion?