Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why doesn't XBMC submit to Cydia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering, why doesn't Team-XBMC submit themselves to Cydia? It would surely be very popular and would make XBMC more accessible to everyone. I just looked into it briefly for the purpose of passing the information along to you, and it would be very simple it seems.

There's a bit more information at this link: http://thebigboss.org/hosting-repository...t-your-app

It says that it's fine to host your own repo as well, so you guys could keep the current one as well.
because we aren't in any outside Team repo/store or whatever you call it for any platform i think. It has been brought up before and not sure how and what.
Discussion would be: "why are you in Cydia and not in Google Pplay or Amazon or....". So it's all or nothing
The group didn't feel comfortable submitting to either bigboss or modmyi, due to the massive amount of ads that both repos put out on the description page. I personally don't feel strongly enough about ads on the description page (though I do think they could tone it down a bit), and they do need to pay for their server costs, but others didn't like the idea.
Cool, I respect that @ned Scott - you guys might want to reconsider (not telling you what to do, just trying to bring up the idea) though, because it severely limits the spread of XBMC, its the only Jailbreak-necessary application I've ever heard of that requires the manually adding of a repository. Personally I never even noticed that Cydia had ads until now, but that's just me.

@Martijn I hear you, there will always be someone to bring up a problem with anything though. Cydia is an "app store" that only works with jailbreak, not an official one, so their requirements and limitations are much less strict than that of Google Play and Amazon.

It would really be nice to see it there so that more people could enjoy the use of this wonderful application you guys have created.
I reconsidered. It will stay as is. We need control over our own cydia repo. We had already issues where other repos mirrored our repo and then when we updated ours didn't sync back. Bascially this resulted in outdated XBMC versions delivered by the mirrored repos. No thanks.

Don't trust anyone but yourself. (and yes while we are the "only Jailbreak-necessary application I've ever heard of that requires the manually adding of a repository" [tm] - thats what makes us special beside the other stuff users don't like about us ... Wink ).
I respect that. I didn't say I didn't like it @Memphiz - there is not a single thing I don't like about XBMC or your team. You don't owe anyone anything so anyone who would be angry about that (or has expressed anger over similar conversations regarding Google Play) have no place here at all. With that being said, keep up the awesome work.

PS: It might be a good idea to close this thread, I don't want it to get too crazy, the question has now been answer and clearly duly noted, that's more than enough for me.
well thanks for asking Smile

some questions are often asked but not this one about cydia iirc. closing it.

@ned
maybe add this as QA on the iOS pages?
It's a legitimate discussion that's not breaking any rules, so there's no reason to close the thread.

(2014-10-23, 10:56)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]I reconsidered. It will stay as is. We need control over our own cydia repo. We had already issues where other repos mirrored our repo and then when we updated ours didn't sync back. Bascially this resulted in outdated XBMC versions delivered by the mirrored repos. No thanks.

I don't think it's fair to compare that situation to submitting over an official repo. We would have complete and total control over our submission to a default cydia repo, and no one else would be able to stop that. The repo for ATV2 that gave us issues was not a standard repo for Cydia and was only included by default by Seas0nPass.

Bigboss and modmyi might have a ton of ads, but they're very trustworthy sources of software, and there's no reason to think of them any differently than one would for a default repository for any other OS, like Debian. If control was ever an issue then it would have become a major event by now, considering all the thousands of software packages already hosted by them. At the very least, it wouldn't be fair to judge them the same as that ATV2 repo (the awkwardTV.org repo, IIRC). In my mind, not having a package in the default repos actually gives us less control.

Not that I will lose any sleep over this. I'm fine with us being in our own Cydia repo and not in the others by default, but if control is the only reason we're not in there, then I think this deserves another look.
If i was not alone on the ios side i might have more time to care about those Things... For now i keep it as is
Fair enough :)