Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple iTunes DAAP playlist/XML-library support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
hi guys,

i'm owner of an apple ipod as well as a few machines (apples and windows pcs) and an avid user of itunes.

the playlist-system is awesome (e.g. smart playlists) and i couldn't even think of moving back to winamp or any alternative.

however, itunes has it's own unique way of indexing and organizing files and folders - which makes it impossible to use my collection of mp3s with xbox media center. is there any chance to see itunes playlist support on xbmc in the near future? that would be outright awesome!

thanks in advance!
hi
what seemes to be the prob? i have my itunes music library hooked up with xbmc without any problems...
can you be more precise?

/bhellium
it would have been real nice to be able to play songs from itunes shared files, without sharing them through relax.

especially with playlists and album, artist, title browsing.

andreas
i agree with moep, i came here to submit the same questions as him. the i-tunes smart play lists are much better then anything else. it would be great if i could access my shared i-tunes library with xbmc playing the songs and also updating play-count and last played data, not finding songs with high play-count on the i-pod the next day. or even better porting everything including the radio and the song library to the xbmc interface. unfortunately i’m not a coder / developer…i'm the cable guy!  Huh sorry guys!  Smile
ipod is all db based -- if it's possible to export them from itunes, it's probably possible to import them/convert them to work in xbmc via python. look into the exporting and let me know.
--jaga
i-tunes and i-pod exports to a .xml file but it would be nice if playback could be transparent from both sides. the xbmc can access over the network if it’s possible to play the i-tunes shared music and play without any user interference that would be great.
the way i'd see it being done, is that you export the file to a known location on a share, and a python script on the xbox reads it, and turns it into a real playlist. do you mind posting a sample one?
--jaga
itunes keeps its library in an xml file. there is no need to export it. it is located at

~/music/itunes/itunes music library.xml
on a mac
and
c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\my music\itunes\itunes music library.xml
on windows.

this is one feature i would die for. if this was implemented i'd just die. this is where the tivo home media option is very catchy.

since this file can be quite large, 8 megs for me, thats over 600 albums, it would be nice to have a way to parse it using a button on xbmc. having this file download and parsed everytime i browsed my music could get cumbersome. i'd like to just parse it every once in a while and have xbmc cache the files paths.

the xml file has everything you could possibly want to know about the song files, even ratings. what would be nice is a way to share this xml file with xbmc so that xbmc could see it and grab it. there are many reasons this would complement xbmc.

itunes could be the frontend to xbmc's music library one cumbersome thing with xmbc is managing the music, it uses folder views to find things, not only is this old hat, but we'll see this way of managing files gone in file managers of operating systems soon, watch for longhorn and later versions of os x to get rid of folder stucture design patterns.

itunes is an amazing, proven, application for managing music why sift through your files or make playlists with a remote when you can just make the playlists on your computer in seconds flat, boot up xbmc and hit play.

itunes is a great "hub" for your music imagine making a playlist in itunes. you listen to it on your computer, you like it so much you have it sync to your ipod for on the go. you're going to a party so you burn that playlist out to a cd. now you can turn on your tv and xbox and have that very same playlist play in yoru living room while you have guests over. all of this from making one playlist.

the afformentioned smart playlists these are amazing, and if yo uodnt know about them, check them out. they make making best of playlists a cinch after rating your favorite music

central area for music i think the whole purpose of allowing the xbox media center to stream video/pictures/music to the xbox was so that you could keep all of your media in one place. then xbmc acts as a frontend to play all of that. this has worked wonderfully, except using music. we (itunes users) manage our music on our computers, but when we go to play them on xbmc we have to  deal with meaningless folders of music again. using itunes xml file would allow us to change that.

for all of the users out that that are saying, "who cares, itunes sucks" get with the program. download it and try it. as long as you have your tags in order, itunes is the most robust and easy to use and most powerful jukebox out there. its amazing once you give it some time.

xbmc devs, please give this some thought, with parsing the itunes xml file you will be able to sort all of our music just how it is on our computers and laptops. and be able to use our great playlists we have created and been using for so long. no need to do any extra work on the xbmc, we just boot up and see our familiar library. the xml file has all the info you need. go through it, its extremely descriptive. these xml files are what allows os x apps to integrate iphoto, itunes, address book, and everything else together in os x. its quite amazing when you see it all work. all from xml.

if you have any questions, email me at [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
does this involve rendezvous? i'm all for rendezvous (and other zeroconf based implementations Wink
technically no you dont need to do this. the trick would just be to somehow share the itunes xml file i mentioned above.

now, if xbmc were to throw together a c version of rendezvous (zeroconf), now that would be one hot mutha. rendezvous is one of the best networking technologies that exists right now. and anyone sharing music with itunes and watching the share just dissapear as someone shuts their laptop and reappear when they open it knows what i'm talking about.

but for now, i'd just like to see someone parse the heck out of that itunes xml file.

now, last night i played with the "scan" feature of xbmc, and i'd have to say we might just end up with this kind of sorting after scanning the itunes xml file, so its not just a matter of using that. we would get to use our playlists, but i think what needs to happen is some kind of better navigation for our music. maybe something with columns like itunes but not too much as it would be a bit of a copy.

what do you guys think?
i have an ipod (3g/40gig) and itunes, and i have to say that i really don't think it's so great. yeah, it works for a small display on a portable device, but i like the ability to keep my tags correct while organizing my music by pseudo artist -- as in my other post/poll says, i like bob marley and the wailers to be grouped with bob marley. this is just a small example, but it avoids a lot of clutter for me.
what i'm suggesting here isn't to only use itunes for management. that obviously woudn't fly with a lot of users.

i'd just like to have the option to use it. and honestly, it would only be for using its playlists. it would be quite convenient.
i was just responding to:

Quote:for all of the users out that that are saying, "who cares, itunes sucks" get with the program. download it and try it. as long as you have your tags in order, itunes is the most robust and easy to use and most powerful jukebox out there. its amazing once you give it some time.
itunes uses the daap protocol for streaming (i requested this feature over a month ago on x-s and not one person replied lol) and there is currently a daaplib on sourceforge that is being developed. it is also a close kin to iphoto picture sharing, which uses daam. if the library would be good enough for someone to start work on this i would gladly post a direct link to it.

a@ron
wow, i didn't realize itunes used daap.  that's pretty neat.  it would be nice to see the streaming feature be implemented, even if i had to manually give xbmc the ip of my mac.

update: daap protocol specs. nice looking site, to say the least ;-p looks like it provides enough basic info to get some interaction going.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16