Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVD-A (DVD-Audio) playback in XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
would it be possible to make xbmc read and decode it?
or even xbox for that matter?
i might have the option of borrowing some dvd audios for testing on my own box, should the need arise.
hi, title says it all really.
does it play dvd-audio discs.
i'd like to know before i go out and buy a couple that i've got my eyes on.

(i don't mean audio from a dvd disc btw, i mean actual dvd-audio format 5.1 etc).

thanks...
no, (link to feature request on sourceforge.net rfe tracker, xbmc doesn't yet support playback of the dvd-a (dvd-audio) format.
ps! suggest you submit this suggestion/request to the mplayer-devs & let them implement it first into mplayer, read why here (link).
howdy.. i wonder if the x-box ever will support dvd audio (see dvda faq for more info about dvd audio)

i still haven't found a dvd player that support dvda in my country yet, so i hope this x-box with the executer 3 chip can play it with a little nice proggie.. hope u guy's got a nice sollution or will add it.
i can say without hesitation that xbmc will not support dvd-a in the forseeable future.

the only programs that support it, are programs that have licensced the technology.

remember css ? you say but css has been cracked a long time ago...

cppm (the system dvd-a uses) took 3 years to develop, and they learned from their mistakes bigtime.
everyone who got explained to themself what cppm is, understand it's a completely different beast.
and until the day it gets cracked, no opensource apps whatsoever will be able to playback dvd-a

trust me, and do a little googling if you dont believe me
@pike, i actually heard that some dvd-a discs 'only' use verance watermark; sdmi (secure digital music initiative), which been cracked(?)
@gamester

those texts are dated 2001/2002 and have had no impact whatsoever on dvd-a support in opensource apps that -i- know of atleast
jon lech johansen (aka 'dvd-jon', the guy who officialy cracked css) released a new sdmi crack (link) recently but his link is now dead Sad
however (as always), google to the rescue => jon+lech+sdmi search (link), and sdmi crack dvd-a search (link), ...never say never :p
will this be supported in xbmc?
nope
(pike @ june 29 2005,22:34 Wrote:nope
so how does the crack changes the situation? if it understands it correctly it just is some progness not a crack for the entire format, am i right?
the crack ?
the sdmi crack/hack has nothing directly to do with xbmc not being able to play dvd-a, it is only indirectly related as it would later be needed to play protected discs.
to even play unprotected dvd-a xbmc would first have to be able to demux and decode the lpcm codec then re-sample from 44.1khz to 48khz and encode to ac3.

please read this (link), it explains that you need to request it from ffmpeg or mplayer developers.
Sorry again for resurrecting an old thread, but this seems to be the most appropriate one to do a follow-up. XBMC is one of the most versatile systems I know and one of the few features that it's missing is DVD-Audio support from ISO. Since both ISO support for DVD-Video and MLP decoding are already present, this shouldn't be too hard now (then again, I'm not a programmer).

I've updated the tracker ticket with some info, maybe someone might be interested in tackling it? http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/926#comment:7
Pages: 1 2