Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Has Trailer" flagging property with a flag overlay support in the skinning engine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, ever since the Trailers tag made it into the IMDB scraper and the Movie database, its been a big hit over here. My roomie seriously had a roomful of people sitting there for like an hour while he paged around in our movie collection, and everyone was like "ooh, it has one!" when a movie was scraped and the trailer button became available, and they also were like "aww" when it was not. Basically the point of the story is that I think this feature is actually one of the cooler recent developments from the perspective of the "regular Joe".

To make it a little easier to tell which movies do and do not have trailers, would it be possible to do an optional "Has Trailer" Overlay? I understand this would be very similair to the "Watched" overlay, both in presentation and execution (since both are checking each list item for a particular database value). I figure being able to easily tell if a movie has a trailer would rock.

An alternate to this, or perhaps a separate and equally useful dev would be to make the presence of a trailer for the currently focused item available to the skinning engine. Wait, isnt this already how the Trailer button's visibility is determined?

I figure with this and probably a seperate FR to gives us the ability to map the "play trailer" action inside of Keymap, XBMC's movie browsing would be even more rediculous than it is already Wink
IsEmpty(ListItem.Trailer) should work fine for a skin visible condition
I'm hi-jacking this topic-thread just to link to this other similar (yet off-topic) request:

High-Definition video flagging (library filter, and thumbnail overlay)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30419

...and similarly, also requested are 'Has Subtitle' flag for videos, and 'Has Lyrics' for audio (more specificly, .cdg karaoke and embedded lyrics)
Feature suggestion: what about an update for the Watched/Unwatched toggle to have an option to see only Unwatched Videos with trailers?

Example:
All Videos/Watched Videos/Unwatched Videos/Unwatched Videos with Trailers

bugman72 added something similar at the skin level for the PM3 skin
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=trailer
Why? What's the actual real-use scenario for this.

Sounds like a smartplaylist type thing to me.
Without a skin mod, like bugman72's, I'm not sure that there is a way to sort for movies with trailers?
So the only way to find movies with trailers is to look at the 'movie info' for each movie until you find one with a trailer (Not a very good use of trailers)

Sometimes you just want to sit down and find a movie to watch. Trailers make people excited about the watching the movie and are part of the overall movie experience, being able to sort for movies that have trailers is ideal when you have a large movie database.

Trouble with a skin mod is that it is skin specific so the user needs to:
1) switch to another skin (XBMC experience lost) in order to sort for trailers
or
2) mod the skin on their own - and then remod the skin when a new skin version is released (a bit chaotic)

I have seen many skin developers/modders look at adding 'trailer sections' - but why continue down this path when it could be part of the watched/unwatched toggle.

*jmmarshall I'll give the smartplaylist a try to see if 'sorting for trailer' is an option
bionic1234 Wrote:Without a skin mod, like bugman72's, I'm not sure that there is a way to sort for movies with trailers?
So the only way to find movies with trailers is to look at the 'movie info' for each movie until you find one with a trailer (Not a very good use of trailers)

It´s really easy to make the skin use an overlay image or label that indicates if a trailer is available, so you won´t have to go to the movie info screen, you would just see it in the list.
Personally I think this would be a good feature to include in PM3.
I dunno how the "trailer" option is filled in the db, and whether or not it's exposed to the smartplaylist stuff or not. If it is in the db but not exposed, then it's easy enough for me to change it.

Please have a look if you can, narrow down what needs to be done (eg it's in the db but not in smartplaylist editor etc.) then post a request on xbmc.org/trac with as many details as you can (ideally with a small example db, or filenames to be used as lookup to obtain a suitable db).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Hey jmarshall - just took a look at smartplaylist, watched/unwatched option does not exist today, and trailer option does not exist today.

I certainly agree that these two options should be sortable options in smartplaylists.
I see your point and I would definitely use your suggested smartplaylist addon feature.

I suspect however that this request/question (for 'direct' visibility of movies with trailers) may come up again in the future as more users add trailers to their archives as their movie libraries grow.

A smartplaylist is a great idea but it imply that the user has to come back out of the movie library and 'remember' to use a smartplaylist.
jmarshall Wrote:Please have a look if you can, narrow down what needs to be done (eg it's in the db but not in smartplaylist editor etc.) then post a request on xbmc.org/trac with as many details as you can (ideally with a small example db, or filenames to be used as lookup to obtain a suitable db).

Done - Ticket#4344 Smartplaylist - request for additional filter rules

Hopefully the smartplaylist filters can accomodate because these options don't appear to conform to the existing smartplaylist rules/logic...

Thanks for taking a look at this jmarshall
Jeroen Wrote:Personally I think this would be a good feature to include in PM3.

I agree with you Jeroen, a good starting place for skin development that may drive behaviours for other skins being developed.
Is someone with svn access able to add bugman72's mod to PM3?
The movie table contains the entry for the trailer so it should be exposeable to the smart playlists rules. (It's the path to the trailer, so the only relevant rule would be something like "has trailer".)

An overlay for movies with a trailer should also be relatively easy to add. As would an additional filter type "Unwatched with Trailers" or something like that but I would be hesitant to add another filter since they seem to be causing a spur of "why dont i see all videos" questions lately.
bionic1234 Wrote:just took a look at smartplaylist, watched/unwatched option does not exist today
But playcount does, which is the same... Playcount=0 = unwatched, Playcount>0 = watched
sho Wrote:But playcount does, which is the same... Playcount=0 = unwatched, Playcount>0 = watched

doh!
yes you are correct sho.
interesting naming convention
Done. I'd appreciate some eyes over smartplaylists for movies et. al. - I think the "order by" clauses won't work?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Pages: 1 2