Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I package XBMC.app after I build XBMC for Mac OS X?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm new to OSX development (XCode is quite a change from Eclipse! ;0) but have sucessfully complied, linked and run the r11914 source from SVN on my MBP (Leopard 10.5.2). It works very well: music, video, last.fm, mythtv integration all working brilliantly.

So I'm now comfortable with the compile, link and run process but how do I package this into XBMC.app so that I can run it on another machine? Did the process of creating the executable "break" the links to, say, /opt/local/lib or do I need to do something else to package up the application?

Apologies for this newb question - I'm happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Spiderlane

* P.S I'm particularly interested in the mythv integration in the OSX port so am following that development closely

* P.P.S if any other developers new to the platform are interested in me sharing my experiences in getting the build working, just ask. Smile
@spiderlane, if you are a C++ programmer and maybe interested in joining the project then please submit a patch or two (enough to show your skill/interest and that you can take the constructive criticism that comes with a patch review), ...if we like your work then you (and anyone else that does the same to prove themselves) will be invited to join Team-XBMC.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Development_Notes

We are always looking for new developers Big Grin
Hey Gamester17 thanks for the response. To be honest, I'm a Java programmer by trade, but dabbling in C++ here because I've been a long time fan of XBMC. It's been a long time since I did C++ at university Smile

Glad to try and code some patches though and am thick skinned enough to take criticisim (constructive or otherwise) and see what people make of them. Do people tend to just pick up a ticket from trac and just start trying to address it? Or is there a more formal way to pick up an issue to work with?

Cheers,
Spiderlane
Hobby developers tend to work on the stuff that they themselves are personally interested in first, I would recommend that you do the same, you will probably be more motivated that way. So prioritise the features/functions that are important to you and then separate the 'small and easy to fix' stuff from the 'large and time consuming' and work your way down down the first list of those (easy first, or at least the things that you think will be easy at a first look).
I'd better get cracking then Big Grin
Btw, you can use Eclipse for XBMC development on the Mac... :-)
@FearlessSpiff : that's good to know. I noticed a .project in the SVN source. I'll experiment with Eclipse (I can move round it so much faster)

@anyone : any clues as to how to turn the sucessfull build into a packaged OSX app?

Spiderlane
Hate to bring back a dead thread, but didn't want to make a new one Laugh

So, how do we create the .app? I too am able to compile and run the latest SVN builds, but I would like to create the .app file from my builds. All I have been doing lately was just replacing the XBMC binary in the 0.4.5 build. I can run it with out placing it in the .app, I do have $XBMC_HOME set up, but some times I place it in there for computability reasons. Thanks!