Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: iMon 16x2 VFD display driver for XBMC for Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi!

This is by no means final but at least functional http://web.telia.com/~u60613787/.
In the zipfile you will find a Python script that drives the iMon VFD used in Antec and other HTPC chassis. I have included the .py file for reference if you want to enhance the script. For people without Python on their PC there is an EXE file included.
The script that runs in Windows talks with the XBMC WEB Server and updates the VFD with information accordingly. For this reason you have to activate the server under Setting/Network/Servers and use port 80, no password. Also note that iMon front view must be set to Never.

The following information is shown.
*Active screen and selection (unless something is playing)
*Above plus clock if you don't move the cursor for a while
*Weather info, if you go to weather and mark the city selector
*Playing file, title, artist, album, duration, depending on media
*Showed picture and resolution

I think the script might run within XBMC but the required library ctypes is missing. I will test that further. Meanwhile I'm hoping that some of the real coders will give it a try. The attached .py file and the SG_VFD.DLL should give a good hint.

Enjoy,

MrZ
mrz Wrote:Hi!

This is by no means final but at least functional http://web.telia.com/~u60613787/.
In the zipfile you will find a Python script that drives the iMon VFD used in Antec and other HTPC chassis.

Sweet, I'll test it as soon as I get all the parts for my HTPC Smile
I got Antec Fusion v2 with VFD.
Thumbs Up for providing this nice script!

Im always getting "VFD already in use..." event with "frontrow" disabled and/or imon not loaded .... any idea what what is keeping the vfd in use ?
I'm using iMon included in the 7.0.1.0204 from SoundGraph http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Supports/...leftMenu=1 plus the iMon VFD API on page 2. In the latter there is a demo included.

I assume you've tested the EXE version from the Dist folder.

Start with checking if that demo works on your setup. If the demo does not work then grab the 7.0.1.0204 release.
Finally try downloading the script again. I update frequently and I might have had a bad version there when you downloaded.

MrZ
I was already using 7.01.204 ;-) ... frontview is set to never ...xbmc webserver is on ... I redownloaded your updated script ... I am only trying the exe.

I always get "vfd already in use". then I copied the sg_vfd.dll from the imon folder to your script and voila the exe starts fine now ;-) . Its printing a # every some second.

But I dont get any Infos displayed.

- Webserver is running on port 80 wo password
- I am using svn 12767

Any other idea ?
Hi webgonzo!

I added a folder with an EXE that prints the results of sending to the VFD. It should print "1" for a succesful transfer. If XBMC is not started or WEB server is off the application should send/display "VFD Connecting"/"127.0.0.1:80" so you can try without XBMC running.

I've been messing with my drivers while configuring the HTPC so please check in Device Manager/USB controllers that you have a "SG Remote Control Device" with driver version 1.2.0.0; -I believe thats the driver that came with iMon but I started of with a crappy Antec version of iMon and it could be its their driver I'm still using. Also please test the demo I mentioned earlier, it uses the same calls as I do.

... and then to the idiot question. iMon shows info on your display?

Let me know how it goes,

MrZ
good work mate. glad to see someone working on teh imon stuff Smile

now all we need is for the remote control to work properly
So here is the actual Status:

- Your debug xbmcdisplay.exe only displays # # # after saying okay (when using the sg_vfd.dll from the imon folder 7.01.204)
- Using your supplied sg_vfd.dll gives me "vfd already in use"
- The Demo gives me "failed to init VFD - vfd not connected or in use"
- I dont have the mentioned "SG Remote Controle Device" under USB-Controller

I have a Silverstone-Case LC16M with integrated vfd etc. and I have nothing else installed than the imon/median 7.01.204 package from the soundgraph page.

It seems to be a vfd-driver problem I will test different versions now and will report
Forgot to say ... when frontrow is set I get information displayed ;-)
OK so it must be a driver thing then. My SG_VFD.DLL fails to access your driver and I don't do much errorhandling. If access fails I regard it as in use.
I have a new debug version uploaded that prints what it would have dislayed. With that you can check that the XBMC connection works and see what great information you get once we have resolved this ;-)

One more question, and I should actually have put this in the header label for this thread, is your display better than 16x2 rows? If so we need to ask Soundgraph for an API DLL for that device.
thread title edited
Hmhmm....

I am using a 16x2 Display.

I tried all Versions of iMon from the oldest Silverstone branded version to the newest TEST build with no success... using a newer sg_vfd.dll doesnt help... then your script starts without any errors even with no imon installed. And I am always getting an error with your original sg_vfd.dll

Soundgraph API Demo also NEVER works.

Frontview etc. was always working.

I found a thread about a dvbviewer vfd plugin that seems to be based on the api to. People got problems or working setups with different settings ?!

My Firmware Version is 0x3601

What is missing here ? If we cant get further I will contact Soundgraph.

Otherwise what about a setup with winlirc and girder? Or is there Lirc LCD-Support available in the Win32 Version ?
For those of you with iMon VFD here http://web.telia.com/~u60613896/ is a VB server that can drive it.
Unzip all files to any preferred directory and start the EXE file.
In Vista I believe you have to run the application in admin mode.
The application uses sockets so windows firewall might ask for priviledge to run.
Functions are as before but now you don't need that uggly CMD window running. Moreover you can also monitor what is sent to the VFD.
New functions.
*Ctrl-Shift-TAB takes you to menu mode (or use the tickbox). In this mode you can scroll among some information using arrow left/right.
*Handles suspend/resume
*Kills XBMC if you start more than one by accident (happens to me every now and then and it evenually stopps Vista)

Enjoy,

Mrz
Hi , I have one of those Silverstone cases , it has an Imon LCD display in the front of it rather than a VFD.

I tried your program anyway, but it didn't work for me Sad

Would you be able to make a copy of your application that uses the SG_LCD.dll file, or possibly tell me how to do it?

Link for the LCD I have is below.

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/...eftMenu=43

Thanks
Neil.
Hi Neil!

I have uploaded the source code for reference, use the link above. Unfortunately the LCD uses a different call set. In this thread http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Forum/For...ingLevel=8 there are some references that might be useful.
Good luck and let me know if you have any progress I'd prefer the LCD but I understood it had crappy support.

MrZ
Pages: 1 2 3 4