Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wattazoum Wrote:Did you activate Universe and Multiverse repositories ?

I have the same problem. I have both Universe and Multiverse activated. When I try to install these individually, here's what I get back:

xbmc-common:
Depends: libcdio6 but it is not installable
Depends: libglew1.4 but it is not installable

xbmc-skin-pm3-hd:
Depends: xbmc-common but it is not going to be installed

xbmc-skin-pm3:
Depends: xbmc-common but it is not going to be installed
I am a complete noob to ubuntu, so probably doing something very basic and stupid, but I cannot get xbmc to show up in synaptic even though I have added the ppa's for intrepid to my sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu intrepid main

I can install xbmc using sudo get-apt install xbmc. But searching for "xbmc" in synaptic gives no results. Also, clicking on "ppa.launchpad.net" in my "sources" list in synaptic also shows nothing. Help would be much appreciated!
TeddybrSociety Wrote:I am a complete noob to ubuntu, so probably doing something very basic and stupid, but I cannot get xbmc to show up in synaptic even though I have added the ppa's for intrepid to my sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu intrepid main

I can install xbmc using sudo get-apt install xbmc. But searching for "xbmc" in synaptic gives no results. Also, clicking on "ppa.launchpad.net" in my "sources" list in synaptic also shows nothing. Help would be much appreciated!

Go to a terminal and type

Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-cache search xbmc

Does this return results?
Yes, that works. Thank you Confusedmile:
has the daily build ppa been reinstated?
Do you guys think you could help a Microsoft User (sorry) install xbmc onto a nice linux box. I have always wanted to play with linux and I now have a few weeks off and want to play with linux. What better way then this. Who knows I might love linux!

What kind of linux?
Only going to use it for now as a movie server!
Antivirus?
System info
Dual Althlon XP 1.3ghz
1gig pc 3200
Aopen gforce avi
Barracuda 80g Scii 150
Sony HD/blue ray
Asus 7.1 theater
JVC hd-ila 72inch

Thanks ToadConfusedHuh
Toadworks Wrote:Do you guys think you could help a Microsoft User (sorry) install xbmc onto a nice linux box. I have always wanted to play with linux and I now have a few weeks off and want to play with linux. What better way then this. Who knows I might love linux!

What kind of linux?
Only going to use it for now as a movie server!
Antivirus?
System info
Dual Althlon XP 1.3ghz
1gig pc 3200
Aopen gforce avi
Barracuda 80g Scii 150
Sony HD/blue ray
Asus 7.1 theater
JVC hd-ila 72inch

Thanks ToadConfusedHuh

You should probably make your own thread for a question like this.
Posting unrelated questions in an existing thread is commonly known as thread jacking and is frowned upon in most forums.
hikaricore Wrote:You should probably make your own thread for a question like this.
Posting unrelated questions in an existing thread is commonly known as thread jacking and is frowned upon in most forums.

I never had any reason to hyjk this thread! The button on xmbc's web took me here for XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled builds). Or builds that a use will not have to compile them self. Mostly for the Hardy build of Ubuntu. I thought thatthe thread was about the p-builds of xbmc for hardy?
The one reason I never used linux or linux programs before was that I could do most of my servers and data on MS machines and if I needed help most of the forums were very help full. I am sorry that you feel that asking a question on how to load a precompiled xbmc load onto a Ubuntu box I was on the wrong thread. I will move on and back to MS!
Thanks
Toadworks

PS: XMBC should change there help logo for linux install for precompiled build on Ubuntu on there site so others do not end up here.
Hello,

I'm interested in contributing to XBMC by helping with packaging for Debian and Ubuntu. I've noticed this page already (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Apply_to_joi...pment-Team). Is there anything more I should do?
quake101 Wrote:has the daily build ppa been reinstated?

Would like to know this also.....
I had XBMC running perfectly on my Ubuntu 8.10 pc using standard OS graphic drivers, but no sound. So I re-installed Ubuntu, made some adjustments, and got the sound to work Smile

When I start XBMC now it shows the splash screen and then exits.
I installed the newest ATI Linux drivers(8.12) from AMD/ATI (which works fine). OpenGL should be enabled.

Are there any other pre-requisites for XBMC to run on Ubuntu?

Are there any debug-logs I could check to correct this?

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Aenima99x Wrote:Would like to know this also.....

Same here.

Thanks
I set up XBMC on a UBUNTU platform and I went to add a movie folder. The problem is that when I went to set the content of the folder, there were no choices. I must have missed something in the build. How do I get the content (scrapers) to show up? Thanks for any help.
Morpio Wrote:I had XBMC running perfectly on my Ubuntu 8.10 pc using standard OS graphic drivers, but no sound. So I re-installed Ubuntu, made some adjustments, and got the sound to work Smile

When I start XBMC now it shows the splash screen and then exits.
I installed the newest ATI Linux drivers(8.12) from AMD/ATI (which works fine). OpenGL should be enabled.

Are there any other pre-requisites for XBMC to run on Ubuntu?

Are there any debug-logs I could check to correct this?

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

The usual problems is that you have wrong bitrate on the screen, it cant be 16bpp because then XBMC crashes (yes we should have a popup telling you this Smile )

/var/tmp/xbmc-user.log IIRC is a good starting point
also loog through glxinfo for direct rendering
rodalpho Wrote:We really need a sticky for this.

XBMC for linux doesn't run on your PS3, your dreambox, your xbox360, your cable box, your popcornhour box, a tivo box, a tissue box, a pizza box, Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box, your Cap'n Crunch cereal box, Valve's Orange Box, a vintage 1986 transformers lunch box, the black box from Oceanic Flight 815, Ernest & Julio Gallo's White Zinfandel in a box, a Jack in the Box, or Pandora's box. Just because your weird hardware runs some variety of linux, that doesn't mean you can run XBMC on it.

It only runs on intel linux, and you need a fast CPU and openGL 2.0 support.

LMFAORofl