Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Daily svn builds would be awesome, especially with the all the recent svn activity.
skyguy1977 Wrote:You are probably right with my video card not being installed properly. When I first installed ubuntu I hadn't used a Linux-based OS before. Most of my experience was using a SUN microstation Unix system. So using the terminal for command prompts wasn't too big of a deal for me, but the other installation tools were new. I did a lot of tinkering and am not sure if that messed anything up.

One problem I'm having is i'm not 100% sure the status of my xorg.conf file. I don't know which one is being used. I say that because as I performed iteration after iteration of configurations, backup xorg.conf files started populating the directory. Ubuntu wont allow me to delete these backups as well. So I continue to read tutorials and try whatever to get compiz to work. No dice so far, but I did get ATI's Catalyst program running via restricted drivers. I also used EnvyNG. I am able to see video, so something is working, I'm just missing out on some "fun" features. XBMC seems to be one of them Sad

If you open up terminal and issue a gksudo (file manager of your choice) you can edit your xorg files and delete them as well. I use gksudo thunar on my XBMCLive system. you will then be in root so remeber that that terminal you issued gksudo on is not useable again until you shut down your file manager but you cannot open another terminal window if you need to.

Dave
quick question that i hope is not off-topic: is there a recommended ubuntu version to use? since hardy is a long-term-support version, will the PPA for it last a long time? or are there important improvements in intrepid (or soon jaunty) that would warrant running a system that is newer, but possibly less stable?
openricky Wrote:quick question that i hope is not off-topic: is there a recommended ubuntu version to use? since hardy is a long-term-support version, will the PPA for it last a long time? or are there important improvements in intrepid (or soon jaunty) that would warrant running a system that is newer, but possibly less stable?

I cannot comment on the ppa but you will always likely be able to access the daily builds or stable ppa's. The only real reason to upgrade Linux is for more features or better supported hardware in the latest kernels of which you could do the same on your existing hardy, gutsy etc build.

There are obviously better supported and fixed items in the latest kernels such as remote support, suspend fixes etc again all this can be done via upgrades or patches in most cases to your existing kernel. If you are not confident in doing patches and kernel upgrades then it leaves you know choice but to upgrade to a newer version.

Regards,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:...The only real reason to upgrade Linux is for more features or better supported hardware in the latest kernels of which you could do the same on your existing hardy, gutsy etc build.

There are obviously better supported and fixed items in the latest kernels such as remote support, suspend fixes etc again all this can be done via upgrades or patches in most cases to your existing kernel. If you are not confident in doing patches and kernel upgrades then it leaves you know choice but to upgrade to a newer version...

I take this to suggest that if I were to do a fresh install today, the smart move would be to install Ubuntu 8.10 x86. I hereby plan to do so, using the command-line-only installation from the alternate install cd, then running XBMC via xinit, as detailed in other threads. I don't need a desktop environment on a dedicated XBMC PC. That being said, what is the best say to install XBMC? Will using the SVN and building from source every once in a while give me more features and stability than using the PPA?
Seems PPA activity has resumed?
Looks like it , yeah :-) (you meant svn PPA, right ?)
I just upgraded to actual svn version from ppa, but now I get some strange effects:
  • my skins are not selectable anymore. All skins in ~/.xbmc/skin are not listed anymore but the system wide installed skins (PM3 and PM3 HD) are appearing doubly
  • my media files were excessively re-scanned and partially re-added to the database without visible cause

Are there some things I should be aware of? I have a backup of my original xbmc-folder, therefore I have no fear testing some new goodies, but I'd really like to keep using my preferred skin.
As stated in the first comment, SVN PPA is unstable. I don't know exactly what is in SVN currently, I just launch the builds :-)
Yeah, I meant SVN PPA. Someone said intrepid was broken, but it seems its at rev 17113 so fairly new? Latest rev is 17137 it seems.
BaerMan Wrote:
  • my skins are not selectable anymore. All skins in ~/.xbmc/skin are not listed anymore but the system wide installed skins (PM3 and PM3 HD) are appearing doubly
When copying the skin to the system wide skinfolder, it also gets listed twice in the selection list. But at least I can use my favourite skin.

Beside that the svn works fine. No bad effects till now. Cool
Sorry i'm new to linux, but there doesn't seem to be enought information here to get me started.

I added the repositories for Intrepid IBEX, and there was an update after i did that. But when i search for xbmc in my package manager nothing shows up.

How do i get the software?
Check that the lines for the repository as stated in the very first posting of this thread are listed in the file /etc/apt/sources.list or in a file ending with .list under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
Then do an "aptitude update" (or "apt-get update" or anything else that will re-read the repositories) and check if there are errors when fetching the repositories from ppa.launchpad. If not, you should see newly added packages with names starting with "xbmc".

If this doesn't work, post your configuration and what software you use for updating the packages. Most control you get when using a command line client like apt-get or aptitude.

I do update nearly every day to the actual svn from this repository and I am pretty satisfied. No problems, no data loss but sometimes little problems with rendering the screen.
By the way, don't use add/remove software (in the Applications menu), but use Synaptic Package Manager (under System->Administration).
Don't know if there is somewhere a documentation about this but is it possible to put out a list of changes when a new (svn)version get's rolled out?!

Cheers,
David