Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
dc2447 Wrote:anybody got a stable version working right now, I am getting much hanging & crashing right now on 9.04.3+svn23754-karmic1
Yesterday's version (don't actually know the correct version string, but my box is still running on intrepid) worked fine for me. No crashes, hangs or errors. The only faulty version for me in the last few months was the one without database support Confused
Does the PPA contain debug versions of xbmc-svn? I would be more then willing to debug the crashlogs and post bug reports.
It sure helped me a lot. Thanks a lot Vajonam!
pabelanger Wrote:Does the PPA contain debug versions of xbmc-svn? I would be more then willing to debug the crashlogs and post bug reports.

It does : xbmc-common-dbg
wattazoum; could you explain us a little bit more about the build scripts. I want to create ubuntu packages as well to update my XBMC live installation. The normal packages requires me to change the profile a lot.

I noticed that the build scripts are located under /home/buildd/. Is it possible to share these?
Here are the scripts that I use for the build (more or less up to date). They are not generic at all. But I hope you can use them.
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~wattazo...ng-scripts

ImageImageImage
wattazoum Wrote:Here are the scripts that I use for the build (more or less up to date). They are not generic at all. But I hope you can use them.

ImageImageImage

Many thanks! I'll have a look at them!
hal2100 Wrote:Hello,

are Hardy PPAs suspended for good?
I just want to know if I have to compile by myself.
And PPAs were very handy for build-deps.

Max

Noone seems to want to answer this question I guess...
wattazoum Wrote:Here are the scripts that I use for the build (more or less up to date). They are not generic at all. But I hope you can use them.

ImageImageImage

wattazoum, I tried to use the build scripts. I had a good look at your code and installed the correct packages. Error messages about missing packages like debhelper dpatch are gone. The only issue I have now is the local variable is not set.

W: xbmc source: configure-generated-file-in-source xbmc/lib/libPython/Python/config.status
Finished running lintian.
Now signing changes and any dsc files...
signfile xbmc_23867-jaunty1.dsc Test User (alias erhnam) <ph@XBMCfreak.nl>

signfile xbmc_23867-jaunty1_source.changes Test User (alias erhnam) <ph@XBMCfreak.nl>

Successfully signed dsc and changes files

'--local' is not set. Uploading to PPA
No host xbmc-ppa found in config

Cleaning ...

Do you have any idea? This is how the script is initialized: ./svn-build.sh -t SRC_BRANCH=/home/buildd/trunk version=23867 $@

The directories (trunk, debian-jaunty, etc) are all in /home/buildd/
Might be a silly question but please advice hopefully,

I followed the link to the xbmc ppas and is it true that for linux, there is no one complete package such as the windows one where u can install and uninstall and could go back to a previous version easily?

It seems the previous few posters are having issues trying to reinstall a previous build or something and the process is not as clear cut as the windows version??

There are multiple *.deb files all over the place for the same build number. Do we have to download all of them and install each of them manually just to be up and running??
TFHfony Wrote:Noone seems to want to answer this question I guess...

Hi,

I have reactivated the builds for Hardy SVN (because you asked Nod ). However, you need to have some other ppas to get the dependencies from.
erhnam Wrote:
'--local' is not set. Uploading to PPA
No host xbmc-ppa found in config

Cleaning ...

Do you have any idea? This is how the script is initialized: ./svn-build.sh -t SRC_BRANCH=/home/buildd/trunk version=23867 $@

The directories (trunk, debian-jaunty, etc) are all in /home/buildd/

Hi,

I am impressed that you succeeded going till this stage. Very good !Wink

The only think missing is -p:
./svn-build.sh -t SRC_BRANCH=/home/buildd/trunk version=23867 -p $@
Mshake Wrote:Might be a silly question but please advice hopefully,

I followed the link to the xbmc ppas and is it true that for linux, there is no one complete package such as the windows one where u can install and uninstall and could go back to a previous version easily?

Yes, it's true that my way of packaging causes the creation of multiple packages. This is to let the possibility to customize your installation of xbmc.

Mshake Wrote:It seems the previous few posters are having issues trying to reinstall a previous build or something and the process is not as clear cut as the windows version??

Removing is easy as removing the lower package (xbmc-common) . This causes the removal of everything.

Mshake Wrote:There are multiple *.deb files all over the place for the same build number. Do we have to download all of them and install each of them manually just to be up and running??

If you do that, it means that either you know what you are doing. Currently, trying to install earlier versions from the PPA is very difficult. In fact I am even surprised that Launchpad still keeps the older packages for a so long time.

This is why I said in the first post that the SVN ppa where for bleeding edge users, which means highly unstable.

More generally, while in windows you will have one file for installing a software, in Linux you will have multiple ones. This is because the libraries are reused on Linux, while they are duplicated in windows. If you have 2 software on windows requiring python, python will be installed twice on different places. On Linux, you will have 3 packages: one for python and one for each software.

In general I find it easier to install a software in Linux than in windows. You don't need to go in a website to search for you softare, you search on synaptic, and the software will be downloaded. You don't need to open a browser, to download the file yourself ...
Today's SVN from ppa (svn23898) freezes when stopping/finishing a movie. Only solution is to hard kill X and restart again. Unfortunately i don't know how to read the debug log. If it helps I could post one.
Might this be related to a kernel update that I also installed today?

System: Ubuntu Intrepid (a.k.a. 8.10) with kernel 2.6.27-15-generic and XBMC SVN:23898 from PPA

EDIT: switching to standard theme PM III also doesn't help
BaerMan Wrote:Today's SVN from ppa (svn23898) freezes when stopping/finishing a movie. Only solution is to hard kill X and restart again. Unfortunately i don't know how to read the debug log. If it helps I could post one.
Might this be related to a kernel update that I also installed today?

System: Ubuntu Intrepid (a.k.a. 8.10) with kernel 2.6.27-15-generic and XBMC SVN:23898 from PPA

EDIT: switching to standard theme PM III also doesn't help

I have same issue, but with Ubuntu karmic.
Pause works, but stop then X locks.