Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can we have a stable repo for karmic plse? Just seen that versions later than 22528 are considered unstable, I guess this accounts for my system being such
dc2447 Wrote:can we have a stable repo for karmic plse? Just seen that versions later than 22528 are considered unstable, I guess this accounts for my system being such

XBMC put up a note on their blog saying that they won't release a stable version of 9.04 for Karmic. They don't want to take any time away from developing the next release.

The latest SVN seems pretty stable to me.
xanadu1979 Wrote:XBMC put up a note on their blog saying that they won't release a stable version of 9.04 for Karmic. They don't want to take any time away from developing the next release.

The latest SVN seems pretty stable to me.
I get constant hangs with the latest svn builds and have done for a while
I remember seeing a post/page soemwhere that shows you how to use the jaunty repo and installing one missing dependancy manually to get it to work. Try a google..
Sorry I cant help more, something that I breezed past Sad
wattazoum Wrote:The error you have is due to the debian-jaunty folder not up to date. Do a 'bzr pull' on it. This might solve your problem.

wattazoum,

I noticed that you changed the build script so I updated and ran again against the latest versions; Do you know what goes wrong?

Now running lintian...
W: xbmc source: maintainer-script-lacks-debhelper-token debian/xbmc-live.postinst
E: xbmc source: depends-on-build-essential-package-without-using-version make [build-depends: make]
E: xbmc source: depends-on-build-essential-package-without-using-version g++ [build-depends: g++]
E: xbmc source: depends-on-build-essential-package-without-using-version gcc [build-depends: gcc]

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/310485/
dc2447 Wrote:can we have a stable repo for karmic plse? Just seen that versions later than 22528 are considered unstable, I guess this accounts for my system being such

Pre-release of camelot is launched on PPA will be ready in say 24h. IIRC amd64 might even be done already.

xbmc.org will give you info about this.
topfs2 Wrote:Pre-release of camelot is launched on PPA will be ready in say 24h. IIRC amd64 might even be done already.

xbmc.org will give you info about this.
Sounds good.
Many thanks, appreciate the information
I see the alph has hit the svn repo - anyone upgraded yet?
I am not sure if I am missing something here. I not a linux expert but:
The alpha is released in the stable PPA launchpad?

Is that not a problem for users trying to install stable xbmc?

I would suggest a separate path for the alpha => RC releases.
Or we should post an instruction how to install the stable version as well as how to apt-get install upgrade the system without going past the latest stable.
@wattazoum:

It looks like the bug that required the dependency on libcurl4-openssl-dev has been resolved in the 9.11 alpha. You can safely remove this dependency. This should greatly help people trying to put together a minimal xbmc installation.

I've been running for a couple of days with the dependency forced, and the package removed, and there's no longer the crash at startup.

Thanks for all your work.

--Carl
vikjon0 Wrote:I am not sure if I am missing something here. I not a linux expert but:
The alpha is released in the stable PPA launchpad?

Is that not a problem for users trying to install stable xbmc?

I would suggest a separate path for the alpha => RC releases.
Or we should post an instruction how to install the stable version as well as how to apt-get install upgrade the system without going past the latest stable.

I had the same "situation" here! I had a problem with crash trying to see a video. When I checked, I installed the 9.11 alpha from the PPA! I tried to found, but I wasn't able to find out how to install the stable 9.10!
Raphael Barros Wrote:I had the same "situation" here! I had a problem with crash trying to see a video. When I checked, I installed the 9.11 alpha from the PPA! I tried to found, but I wasn't able to find out how to install the stable 9.10!

I have tried SVN build in WinXP/Xbox/UBUNTU, but if the SMB share directory contain many files ( > 1000 ), the XBMC will hang on connection directory,
so I give up SVN build and use stable PPA, there is no problem,
SMB connect large file directory less then 15 second ( 1Giga Lan )
( anyone have the same SVN SMB "large file directory" problem and how to solve it ? thanks ! )

Today I boot my UBUNTU and found it do an auto-upgrade procedure,
then my XBMC become unstable, the SMB large file directory meet the same
problem as SVN build, it I connect to small file SMB directory, the video
played few minutes and jump back to UBUNTU desktop....

I check the Info and found XBMC from 9.04 to 9.11-alpha,
it seems I can not go back to 9.04 PPA,
now I tried upgrade UBUNTU from 9.04 to 9.10 and install XBMC karmic ( both PPA and SVN ) again to try if it works.

Maybe next time I should turn-off "auto-upgrade" feature in UBUNTU...
FOR EVERY ONE HAVING PROBLEM with libass3, please check that you are not using
PPA for XBMC for Linux.
Use specific stable PPAs for you distribution on this page:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc#ppas
wattazoum Wrote:FOR EVERY ONE HAVING PROBLEM with libass3, please check that you are not using
PPA for XBMC for Linux.
Use specific stable PPAs for you distribution on this page:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc#ppas

Maybe I'm stupid but I can only find the 9.11 alpha there, and that one is totally unusable on my computer.
Dedas Wrote:Maybe I'm stupid but I can only find the 9.11 alpha there, and that one is totally unusable on my computer.

Maybe I'm stupid too, but I can't find the stable 9.04 version anywhere.....