Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
jms-xbmc Wrote:Is there any place for previous PPA packages? I'm seeking for latest beta2 packages for karmic (the one before rc1) - I rummaged public PPA folders without luck. And I have also ran apt-get clean Sad
Looking for this?
https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+a...ter=karmic
BurningSky - Thank you!

It is just what I was looking for...
I upgraded Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10 and then changed the XBMC PPA repositories to the Karmic ones. Now when I apt-get upgrade XBMC I get the following error in package xbmc-live 1:9.11-karmic1:

Code:
Setting up xbmc-live (1:9.11-karmic1) ...
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/xbmc-live missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
start: Unknown job: xbmc-live
invoke-rc.d: initscript xbmc-live, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-live (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.

(For the complete log, please see: http://pastebin.com/fb1cdf88 )
When I boot my computer XBMC doesn't load automatically anymore. But if I log in manually as the xbmc-user and then do a startx, Fluxbox loads and from there I can start XBMC with everything working perfectly.

If I try to start xbmc manually from the command prompt I get the following error: "Unable to open display FEH.py: cannot connect to X server"

I've got " xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume" set in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Information about my system:
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 190.53 Tue Dec 8 18:51:41 PST 2009
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8)
Linux 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I guess XBMC fails to start X in some way but I don't understand why since it works perfectly when I start X manually. Any help would be appreciated.
SJey Wrote:I upgraded Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10 and then changed the XBMC PPA repositories to the Karmic ones. Now when I apt-get upgrade XBMC I get the following error in package xbmc-live 1:9.11-karmic1:

I've got the same problem!
Could anybody please help with this problem?

cYa MacKleriker
I'm stuck. Big time! I just installed a minimal version of Ubuntu (Karmic) used a very helpful XBMC installer script (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55282) and finally tried to install the latest SVN from the PPA.

Understanding that Karmic now has one little helper "add-apt-repository" I used that:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

Which actually worked fine, grabbed those keys etc. Finally, I disabled the original XBMC PPA lines from:
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-ppa-karmic.list

Right after this I told apt:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Which did nothing at all. So after reading some threads I also tried
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

But apt only told me that "xbmc" already is installed with the latest version available. Phew! What now?

Thanks for helping me out!

EDIT: Can confirm I got the same behaviour using the XBMC Live installation.
moonwhaler Wrote:But apt only told me that "xbmc" already is installed with the latest version available. Phew! What now?

Thanks for helping me out!

EDIT: Can confirm I got the same behaviour using the XBMC Live installation.

Hmm... what are you trying to do? Get XBMC started? Maybe the following guide will help you:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812
SJey Wrote:I upgraded Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10 and then changed the XBMC PPA repositories to the Karmic ones. Now when I apt-get upgrade XBMC I get the following error in package xbmc-live 1:9.11-karmic1:

Code:
Setting up xbmc-live (1:9.11-karmic1) ...
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/xbmc-live missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
start: Unknown job: xbmc-live
invoke-rc.d: initscript xbmc-live, action "start" failed.
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.

Try the following:

Code:
echo " " > /etc/init/xbmc-live-install.conf
echo " " > /etc/init/xbmc-live.conf

Then try apt-get upgrade
wstewart Wrote:Try the following:

Code:
echo " " > /etc/init/xbmc-live-install.conf
echo " " > /etc/init/xbmc-live.conf

Then try apt-get upgrade

Worked for me to get rid of the error, but xbmc still isnt autostarting.
Any idea what I could do?
check the logs, Xorg and xbmc. I suspect that you have no xbmc log though. The only way to debug is to start xbmc manually in the same way as it is started by the script.

Temporarily rename /etc/init.d/xbmc-live to xbmc-live1.

Then reboot, start xbmc manually in the same way as the script. check /etc/init.d/xbmc-live, I seem to recall it uses /usr/bin/runXBMC. Look at that file and try running the commands manually, you need a bit of linux knowledge to do this.

For some of the steps to start X and xbmc there is no log until everything is up and running. If one of the intermediate steps fail, it is really difficult to debug.

Couple of questions, do you have an xbmc user created?

Did you upgrade or change your kernel and possibly not re-install the NVIDIA driver?

does X alone start up? startx I think is the command.
SweetS2K Wrote:Hmm... what are you trying to do? Get XBMC started? Maybe the following guide will help you:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812

No. Actually, everything is running very smooth here. I'm just not able to get proper SVN builds using apt-get - and the SVN PPAs. Will try the trick above.
wstewart Wrote:Couple of questions, do you have an xbmc user created?

Did you upgrade or change your kernel and possibly not re-install the NVIDIA driver?

does X alone start up? startx I think is the command.

Yes

Yes, but i think this stuff is ok

It isnt started automaticly but i think its ok. When I run
Code:
xinit xbmc
xbmc starts and runs without any problems.

edit: tried runXBMC works as well to start it manualy.

Investigating the logs hasnt brought me any further. A strange thing was, that there was no up to date Xorg log file.
Any chance we'll see SVN builds spinning again soon?
I'd like to see one with working python. However, the database abstraction project seems to be taking precedence. Python hasn't woked for me in live since Camelot A2.
flobbes Wrote:Investigating the logs hasnt brought me any further. A strange thing was, that there was no up to date Xorg log file.

I also had problems with xbmc not autostarting after upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic. Removing xbmc-live package, removing everything xbmc-related from /etc/init.d and /etc/init and installing xbmc-live again did the trick for me.

/Daniel
Daniel Malmgren Wrote:I also had problems with xbmc not autostarting after upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic. Removing xbmc-live package, removing everything xbmc-related from /etc/init.d and /etc/init and installing xbmc-live again did the trick for me.

/Daniel

I upgraded my distribution as well.

I tried removing everything from xbmc cleaned the temp files and reinstalled from the online repositories, but its still the same problem.

When the /etc/init/xbmc files dont exit I get the

Code:

When the files exist, I the installation works without errors, but xbmc isnt autostarted.