Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any official answer when we could install XBMC as per published guides?
"soon" is not sufficient.
DigitALL Wrote:Is there any official answer when we could install XBMC as per published guides?
"soon" is not sufficient.

With all due respect, when you're talking about an open-source project that you don't pay for, you have no right to say that something isn't sufficient. We're very lucky that people work on this project in their free time. They deserve more respect than that. It's only been a few days, just calm down.
xanadu1979 Wrote:With all due respect, when you're talking about an open-source project that you don't pay for, you have no right to say that something isn't sufficient. We're very lucky that people work on this project in their free time. They deserve more respect than that. It's only been a few days, just calm down.

Exactly !
Sit down and relax, enjoy the beautiful weather or such and come back to insane-linux-shell-script-Xorg-alsamixer-and-such-hell when it's time to Laugh
DaCake Wrote:Exactly !
Sit down and relax, enjoy the beautiful weather or such and come back to insane-linux-shell-script-Xorg-alsamixer-and-such-hell when it's time to Laugh

Agreed, just because there is an SVN version, doesn't mean you have to use it.

If you can't wait stick to the stable version, and beside the apt-cache or the unofficial site will provide you with a build if you really can't wait. Or you can build your own!
Perhaps I should have rephrase it differently and I apologize for that. I know it is free and I recognize the great effort that is put into but I was more wondering if/when a s/w source is down or reworked, shouldn't be a sticky with the details? It would avoid useless posts like mine.
tdw197 Wrote:If you can't wait stick to the stable version

In his defense, the stable version PPA is down too. And I agree that their should be a sticky, or better yet, a post on the xbmc blog.
xanadu1979 Wrote:With all due respect, when you're talking about an open-source project that you don't pay for, you have no right to say that something isn't sufficient. We're very lucky that people work on this project in their free time. They deserve more respect than that. It's only been a few days, just calm down.

This may not have been the right words, but giving no information to users (and some of them donated) is not the right way, too.
You don't have to delete everything on the servers to clean them up, just imagine the Debian maintainers would do that (and they mostly don't get paid, too).
I'm doing some Linux support for free myself and provide some Files etc. but I would never delete anything without a BIG explanation on the main web page.

I appreciate the work of the XBMC team very much but due to the maintenance of the servers I was not able to reinstall my HTPC so that today we won't be able to watch the movies I stored on it in XBMC.

If anyone has an explanation where to get the builds and how to use them I would appreciate it very much.
Broco Wrote:I appreciate the work of the XBMC team very much but due to the maintenance of the servers I was not able to reinstall my HTPC so that today we won't be able to watch the movies I stored on it in XBMC.

I am exactly in the same situation... Rolleyes
Broco Wrote:This may not have been the right words, but giving no information to users (and some of them donated) is not the right way, too.
You don't have to delete everything on the servers to clean them up, just imagine the Debian maintainers would do that (and they mostly don't get paid, too).
I'm doing some Linux support for free myself and provide some Files etc. but I would never delete anything without a BIG explanation on the main web page.

I appreciate the work of the XBMC team very much but due to the maintenance of the servers I was not able to reinstall my HTPC so that today we won't be able to watch the movies I stored on it in XBMC.

If anyone has an explanation where to get the builds and how to use them I would appreciate it very much.

ill 2nd that ... if someone can post another build etc ?

Thanks
Broco Wrote:This may not have been the right words, but giving no information to users (and some of them donated) is not the right way, too.

Google xbmc unofficial builds, download the appropriate build to you (amd64 etc) and use dpkg to install.
Soorma Wrote:ill 2nd that ... if someone can post another build etc ?

Thanks

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:henningpingel/xbmc
Thanks very much Wink

I think they can do whatever they want with the SVN PPA, but I agree that they shouldn't have cleared the stable PPA without a notice.
BurningSky Wrote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:henningpingel/xbmc

thanks but i get a error that file couldnt be found when i try to download xbmc
Soorma Wrote:thanks but i get a error that file couldnt be found when i try to download xbmc

did you run

Code:
sudo apt-get update

after adding the ppa?